Type Of Goldfish

karla80

Hi, I believe my Casper is a Fantail but I always wonder if he really is a fantail or not. Although his body looks like a Fantail body, I just need to know if Fantail's have little "whiskers" on their faces. I do not know if whiskers is the right word but I do not know what else to call them. I think I've seen these on Ryukin photos on koko's site on goldfish types but the description does not match with his character.

He does not have a big hump, he likes to play w/his tank mate, if she is sleeping during the day he tends to try to wake her or lay beside her. He has only had one episode of sbd but it went away on its own the following morning. I do feed floating pellets, soaked for ten minutes before feeding, and he's fine, except for that one time almost 9 months ago. He is 4 years old but I've had him for one.

Sorry for the long message but i just want to be sure.th_MVI_0278.jpg

thanks

karla

oh, i hope you can see the video. At the end of the video you can see his face and his "whiskers". I just cannot seem to find a pic of a fantail's face therefore i never able to see "whiskers"

karla

Hmmm can't open the video. I was prompted to login under your name when I clicked the video link.

Btw, r u sure they are "whiskers"? No goldfish should have "whiskers" on their faces. The closest thing I can think of that u might mistake as "whiskers" are the nasal septa (the things protruding out of their nose-holes). In some goldfish these maybe slightly-enlarged (or excessively-enlarged as in pom pom goldfish) and they may look like whiskers.

thank you :) .

I am not sure how the video works with photobucket. I'm still logged in and for some reason I click on the pic and get access to the video. I will try and see if i can upload it again.

karla

sorry, they are not actually whiskers, i just did not know what to call them and yes

thanks d_golem, i believe they are nasal septa, i just wanted to confirm whether he is a fantail. I had hoped the video may have helped. I tried clicking on the image while logged out of photobucket and i was unable to have access but with me logged in i was able to see it.

are you able to see it now?

Karla

Thanks again. I really like him a lot. Like i posted earlier, I've never seen a pic of a fantail's face close up and although his character and body seems more fantail like, it was the nasal septa that confused me since a description of fantail never mentions this. Unfortunately the video is not accessible :unsure: and i was hoping by seeing his face that there was a way to verify his type. I always refer to him as a fantail, i just thought i'd ask.

I did not want to offend him :D

karla

Yup it is hard to tell from the pic since he is in a twisted postition. I could not get the video to work either. I think he looks like a veiltail or fantail from what I can see of him. I can't tell if he has the big humped back that ryunkins have from your pic. Might try again later and maybe catch a still with your digital or video camera viewing him from the side, that would help.

just remembered this other post of a ryukin that another has of her fish in another thread. I am going to paste a link to that thread on here and all you have to do is click on it to view it. Her fish is an excellent example of a ryukin. that way you can look at her pic and then look at your goldfish and try to decide if it looks something like hers. It might even be a ryukin fantail mix.

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/...topic=47074&hl=

Yes he does look like a ryukin. :lol: But I also think he looks like a Veiltail since both appear to have nasal septas. Do fantails have nasal septas too? I will try to solve my video problems. Are there any good sites where i can upload videos? Thank you for all the help :) . I will try to get a close up pic soon, unforunately i need new batteries for my camera <_< . One thing that is unlike ryukin's, according to their character is that Casper does not appear to be prone to SBD even though his and Butterball's main food is nutrafin floating pellets.

If all else fails I may have to find the guy at the petstore who sold him to me.

karla

karla, ALL goldfish (in fact, maybe almost all fish) have nasal septas :D we humans have a nasal septum also, which is the cartilaginous bone separating our left & right nose cavities. Your fantail might have slightly enlarged nasal septas so it's more obvious to you. But have a look at your other goldfish and u'll find they too have those frilly fleshy thingies however small ;)

I'd like to reiterate again that long flowy caudal fins (tail) doesn't make a veiltail. A veiltail is when the long flowy caudal fins don't have any (or very little) forking on each lobe, like the diagram below:

standard1.gif

Veiltails are (Ranchugirl can correct me in this statement if I'm wrong) rare and almost impossible to find in regular LFS.

I've seen people here said they just bought a new goldfish and claiming it's a veiltail where very likely it's a fantail with long flowy tail.

Just wanna clarify things up :D don't just go proclaiming "Oh that's a veiltail!" when u don't know the exact standards of the breed.

He looks to me like a ryukin who just has a less exagerated hump. And don't forget, he could be a crossbreed too.

th_MVI_0314_3.jpg

th_MVI_0278.jpg

I decided to try again. Sorry if you are unable to view.

I know veiltails are rare therefore I would not actually state that I have one given that Casper and Butterball were sold to me for only $60.00 together :teehee , he just looks like one but he also looks like a fantail and a ryukin, except he does not have a big hump. He could be a crossbreed, I just wanted to know what type he could be. I'm new to goldfish keeping and after trying to figure out what he is through research I thought I'd ask since you guys know more about goldfish than I do. Plus with 14 of their babies I would like to tell others what they are a mix of. So far I've told people that Casper is a fantail, I was just thrown off by the nasal septas. :)

Thanks for the help :D

karla

Nah, still can't open the movies <_<

As far as I'm concerned, Casper's parents can be: ryukin x ryukin, fantail x ryukin, fantail x fantail, or maybe even none of those! Keep in mind that even a pairing of showclass ryukins with humongous humps can and will produce humpless fry, such is the instability and uncertainty of goldfish breeding.

I would still say that Casper is a fantail, because we're used to describe a "plain" double tailed fancy goldfish (without wen, hump, bubbles, etc etc) as a fantail if the parents are not known.

Ur other fish is definitely an oranda though :D

thanks all so much for all the help, greatly appreciated. Sorry for the videos, photobucket staff said there should not have been problems but maybe another time.

thanks again d_golem for the info. on nasal septas, seems silly referring to them as whiskers :rofl .

karla

Theres nothing wrong with the videos you just have the setting so you need to enter a password to view it. Go to account options and make it public or tell us the read only password. The fish look really nice though :)

Archived