African Mudskippers

they are brackish water :) they also need a fairly large tank as they jump at about a foot at a time :) i wanted to keep them, but you do need a fairly large aquarium. You have to fill the tank with brackish water ranging from 1.010 to 1.015 in salinity, and pH needs to be around 8.0 or slightly higher.

edit: they also mostly need live foods, as they usually reject dried :)

Edited by tinkerbell

there really worth the effort, these guys get very trusting and will take frozen foods from your hand,

but as tink said to keep them properly you need a big tank.

i would build a beach effect as they spend a lot of the time out of the water

about something Tink said, filling a large tank with brackish water... Mudskippers don't need a full tank. They only need an inch or so of water. What they require is a bottom of fine sand, banking into a "shore" arrangement with one side above water and the other side beneath it, since mudskippers like to crawl and hop on the "shore" but must return periodically to the water to wet their gills. The tank could also be decorated with driftwood since the fish like to sit on it when they're out of water and the cover galss must cover the whole tank to maintain high humidity in the tank (ideally, condensation must keep the glass sides foggy even if this means you won't see the inside of the tank :blink: )

They enjoy catching live prey on the sand too but only slow moving ones like freshly-molted mealworms.

My friend got a mudskipper today yep, she got it from the pet shop i saw them at. It looks so cute. She has it in a 10 gallon tank right now with half land and half water. It's only about 2 inches long right now.

Uh.....dis is off topic but did u get ur name from Inuyasha?

Yes i did, it's my fave anime.

ok back on topic:

She told me she could not get a bigger tank for some time. I dont' know why she got the mudskipper she just wanted it. They told her at the pet shop it would be fine in the 10gallon, guess she needs to stop doing what the pet shop people say. She don't have a computer so she can't get on here.