Sign in to follow this  
br553

Ariel Might Be Male!

I've noticed my comet Ariel chasing some of my other guys around the tank, bumping them near the tail. I thought it was just aggresion until I noticed breeding stars on her gill flaps! So she's apparently a he. She/he has been paying close attention to my shubunkin, Fuzzy, who may actually be female. Sadly, if they do manage to breed, I do not have a way of keeping the eggs or fry.

Here's a couple of pictures of the possible parents.

Ariel

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e330/br553/Ariel.jpg

Fuzzy

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e330/br553/fuzzy.jpg

Guest hayden014

thats an unexspected supprise

theyre both gorgeous and would make lovely parents :) its a shame you cant keep the eggs/ babies:(

Guest JamieDaniel

I had twins (MaryKate and Ashley) and I got found out Ashley is a male (he has white spots on his gills).Now MaryKate is full of eggs..guess they are going to be parents soon.

Theyre beauties. Thats too bad that you arent able to raise fry. :(

Ariel's breeding stars are gone now and Fuzzy isn't being chased around any more.They may have layed eggs a couple of days ago during the night, but I haven't found any eggs or fry in the tank. So my guess is either the eggs were eaten or Fuzzy may not have been ready. It would be nice even if I was only able to get one fry and raise it to maturity. I wonder what it would look like, with a cross between an orange comet and a shubunkin.

Well, you will have some wonderful fry - a shubunkin is nothing but a calico comet, so they are basically the same breed, just different coloration.

Oh, maybe you wonna rethink Ariel's name to, maybe, Sebastian. If you named him/her after the movie "The little Mermaid"... :lol:

I definately did name her after "The Little Mermaid" at the suggetion of my sister. It would be hard to rename her especially since I've had her/him for about 2 and a half years. I could keep him with that name if I think of the old Jonny Cash song "The Boy Named Sue"

Its hard to imagine a fish with such flowy fins being a male!! Well, if they breed those will be some beautiful babies :)

:lol1 Ha! A boy named Sue!! :rofl

I am THE WORST at naming a fish! If I pick a girlie name IT WILL be a male!

"A boy named Sue", huh? :rofl3 I love that song. Makes me appreciate my name so much more... :lol: