Sign in to follow this  
jen626

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Ok, the butterflies in my tummy are mostly gone and have been replaced with pure, unadulterated JOY! :happydance

Some of you will think I am nuts, but some of you will "get it", I should have my new (used) tank up early next week and can FINALLY move my goldies into a bigger home, after seven long months of waiting and praying they stayed healthy in their overstocked tank.

The tank is all clean and I have verified that it does not leak. The stand is sanded and about to be repainted. The filters have been soaking in vinegar water and will be scrubbed clean and left to dry tonight. A shipment from Dr. Fosters is on the way with new bubble curtains, filter cartridges, ceramic rings and other goodies. The tank is nearing completion! :D

And of course I have been telling the fish about their new home every day, and I can tell they are excited too! Woowoo! :rockon

OK, I will admit to very little sleep last night and lots of Mt. Dew today...so this post is a leetle bit over the top.... :krazy:

Cross your fingers for me that all goes well! :goodluck My nightmares are full of tanks being dropped and filter motors grinding to a halt...

Edited by jen626

I'm very happy for you! :nana

Can't wait to see pics!

YAY!!! I'm so happy for you Jen! I know you've been working for this tank for a long time, and you and your fish deserve it.

:bounce :

U know the procdures: PICS!! :lol:

:heart Oh Jen!!! I GET IT!!! :heart Been there done that! And I am SOOOOOOO happy for you!! Push those nightmares right outta there & enjoy the pleasure! I hear the theme song to The Jeffersons playing remember? "Movin' On Up!!" :bounce:panana

LOL, you're silly. :lol: Good luck with it, make sure you get lots of pics. Those fish will be soooo happy!

I'm pleased to hear that it's all coming along swimmingly ... all the more exciting after waiting so long.

Pics Pics Also remember the tank of the month contest..... :D

oooh! sounds awesome! lol u sound very very VERY excited! cant wait to see some pics!!! :lol:

Thanks for understanding guys! I don't think I will have anything good enough for tank of the month (not right away anyway) but I will definitely put the pics up as soon as the fish are in! Hopefully, that will be by Wednesday next week.

I think I will have the tank and stand up in my apartment (they are in the shop downstairs now) by Sunday, Monday I can add water and start the filters (although they won't have cartridges yet, is that ok?), plus I will put one of my current filters in to start seeding the water/new filters. Tuesday I should get the filter cartridges and other new stuff in the mail so I can set that up and make sure everything is running smoothly. Then, hopefully, I can add the fish Wednesday morning!

No background, plants or decorations for awhile though, I am broke from this already (I am wearing flip-flops rain or shine since my shoes have holes-I'd rather spend $ on the fish!), but that will all come in time. I just want to see my fish SWIM! They can barely turn around in the 20 gallon....

:D

:Jig: I'm so happy for you too Jen and I can't wait to see it all set up and your fishies having fun in it! Your excitement is great and I'm glad we get to share it with you! :D

Jeana, I love it...but I had to change a few of the lyrics...

Original lyrics in ()

Well we're movin on in, (Well we're movin on up)

To the deep side. (to the east side)

To a deluxe aquarium with style. (To a deluxe apartment in the sky)

Movin on in (movin on up)

To the deep side. (To the east side)

We finally got some room to dive! (We finally got a piece of the pie!)

No more parasite itchin' (Fish don't fry in the kitchen;)

Finally dining on krill (Beans don't burn on the grill. )

Took a whole lotta tryin'

Just to get the Python no-spilll. (Just to get up that hill)

Now we're eating that gel food (Now we're up in the big leagues)

And we're gonna get fat! (Gettin' our turn at bat.)

As long as we live,

It's you and me goldies (It's you and me baby)

There ain't nothin wrong with that!

Well we're movin on in, (Well we're movin on up)

To the deep side. (to the east side)

To a deluxe aquarium with style. (To a deluxe apartment in the sky)

Movin on in (movin on up)

To the deep side. (To the east side)

We finally got some room to dive! (We finally got a piece of the pie!)

ROCK ON Jefferson's!!!! Thanks for the song Jeana, it is perfect! :D

Edited by jen626

Jen, I suggest holding off adding your current filter for seeding until you have filter material in your new filters. But it's ok to run the other filters without media just to circulate the water.

It will also help the cycle to add as much water as you can from the 20g (even with the nitrAtes) and grab a large handful of gravel, muck 'n all, and put that in the 20g as well. If the old gravel will ruin the appearance of your new tank then put it in a stocking, it will work just as well and you can remove it later.

I know you are really looking forward to re-homing your fish BUT ... it might be a good idea just to start with 2 fish at once. It will be a much lower load on the new tank, it will cycle more quickly and with less stress on the fish.

Edited by Fishmerised

:lol: congrats on your new tank, and i cant wait for pics :D

:D Nothing wrong with being excited on a new tank.For as many as I have,and all the years that I've been doing it,a new tank still manages to get me all excited. :lol:

DOn't worry about tank decoration's and such for now.Just look at it as the fish having more water space to actually swim. :D

:) How exciting! I know how you feel! I love setting up a new tank. :yeah: I love it when people show their excitment over something they love doing.

I got two Pets-Mart gift cards for Mother's Day, do my kids know their Mom or what, and I got a 30 gal tank and a wrought iron stand and have been working on the set-up for a week now. So I feel the butterflies with you, probably more for you because I know how excited you are to move your fish :heart into the nice big home.

Remember, lots of photos! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the advice Annette, I thought about that later that adding the old filter probably wouldn't help until there was media in the new ones, lol!

I will try and use like 75% of the water from the 20 gallon, since I can easily do a 75% change without harming that cycle, and the gravel will be no problem....I may put it in a stocking(s) though since I am thinking about going bare bottom. I want as much space for the fish as possible, so the less I put in the tank the better! There isn't much muck in the gravel though, usually when I vaccuum about 90% of it comes out since they are medium sized river rocks and I don't have much in the tank. Would it be helpful NOT to vaccuum until I move them (about 6 days)?

As for only moving two fish, I was wondering if that might be a good idea. Do you think the two fish that I leave in the 20 will be ok with just one filter for awhile though? I have two filters in the current tank, a Whisper 20i and a Whisper 40i. So I could leave one in and move the other to the 55, but that will leave the 20 underfiltered until the other two fish move into the 55. But I am *thinking* that wouldbe ok as long as I monitor the water closely and do water changes as needed. I can move the 20i to the 55 and leave the stronger 40i in the 20, since both have the same amount of media but the 40 is stronger. LOL, did any of that make sense?

Thanks to everyone for sharing in my excitement and wishing us well!

Edited by jen626

It would be ok not to gravel vac for 6 days, usually once a week is enough but I realise you have been extra vigilant due to your stocking levels. When you move 75% of your old tank water into the new tank gravel vac as well and send as much muck over as possible. Muck contains bacteria.

Two fish in a 20g isn't overstocked, I realise they are comets but if they aren't too large it will be ok for a couple of weeks. I would move the Whisper 40 to the new tank and leave the 20 in the old tank, if you keep up your water changes it should cope for the short period of time.

From my experience when seeding a tank with a mature filter they cycle quickly, it should only be a matter of weeks before you can move the remaining 2 fish into the new tank.

Edited by Fishmerised

Thanks once again for the great advice! I had been wondering how to go about moving everything and the fish over and now I have a good plan! :thanks

I know 20 gallons for two, or 55 for four isn't too bad, but these fish are actually pretty big! Of the two comets one is 11" from head to tip of tail and the other is about 8". The two commons are a little smaller, one is about 6" and the other 7", so they are pretty big, amazing that they keep growing in overstocked conditions! But I think you are right and as long as I have one filter going and keep an eye on the water, the two will be fine in the 20 until the 55 is cycled. After all, these fish, all four of them, lived the first 8 months of their lives (with another owner) in a 10 gallon, with a VERY mucky ugf and STILL got as big as they are! I moved them from their 10 gallon into the 20 right after I adopted them and was able to move the cycle over pretty well, with just a minor bump, so hopefully it will work even better this time since I have great advice, more media and more experience. :goodluck

One thing I am really hoping for :please that will make me SO happy is if their water isn't pink anymore! The staple food they were on when I got them was Tetra Goldfish Crisps which are red and also produce reddish poo, so I think because they are in such a small tank the water turns pink after a day or two. Once they are stable in the new tank I will probably switch them to a better staple anyway, I was just scared to change foods while they were overstocked. I have added lots of new things into their diet though brine shrimp, blood worms, peas and other veggies.

These fish are so hearty anyway I could probably put them in a puddle outside and they would thrive, but I am paranoid, what can I say? :rolleyes:

Congrats Jen!! I can't wait to hear how it all goes. Good luck!

hey i totally understand how good you must be feeling (i was peeing myself with excitement when i got a temporary 17gal bucket for goodness sakes!) and i cant wait to feel the same way when i get my new tank!

We are definately all suffering from 'goldfish fever' and 'multiple tank syndrome' on this site!!! :ill:lol:

Sooooo happy for u! cant wait to see pics!!! :heart

Heeeyyyy Jen!!!

:ehh Your rendition of "The Jefferson's Theme" was OFF THE HOOK!! :hi5

Edited by Jeana727

LOL Jeana, I am glad you liked it! I was going to pm it to you but then the pm'ing quit working.... Glad you saw it, that song was stuck in my head from the moment I read your post and it was so fitting! :lol: