Goldfish Breeding

Guest Trobe

Guest Trobe

So i took my goldfish out of they're room temp tank and stuck them in a heated tank.... and now they've spat eggs all over the gravel and the few fake plants that are in there...

is there any way to save these eggs?... or will they just be no good???

what do i do?

Hi there, Trobe, and :welcome !

Depends if you got males and females, or just females which happen to drop eggs everywhere.

If you wonna save some and see if they were fertilized, you either have to take out the parents and put them someplace else, or take out the eggs. Otherwise those eggs are gonna be one big, fat breakfast-lunch-dinner for the parents.

How do the eggs look right now? Fertilized eggs look clear with some black dots in them (for the little body of the fry), while unfertilized ones become milky, and might even get fungus if not taken out.

Guest Trobe

I've got males and females... but the males are regular goldfish and the females are the fancy chubby ones with the big fan tails or whatever...

they most of them are milky looking but there are a few that are clear...

Guest hexueqi

i guess you should try and remove the white eggs...

If you don't they might grow icky fungus and infect your fish once they hatch.

Guest Trobe

so i took the eggs out and put them in a 10 gallon... and it looks as though some have hatched... theres a bunch of little swimming things with eyes.... im thinking its babies... how do i feed them and when do i start...

and i feed them crushed goldfish food?

Guest hexueqi

i think you can but the crushed food have to be really tiny.You can buy fry food from fish shops.The baby fry will start eating after one and a half days(?).Once their yolk sac dissapears and they start to swim freely

ah babies! cuteness!

pics???

well done taking them out of the tank so they r safe. i hope you manage to get ur hands on some fry food for them.

:heart

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Trobe

Yeah.. i tried taking pictures but the babies are way too small......... most of the eggs weren't fertile... and i had them in a tank with a HOB filter ... so i lost some .. oops.. i threw a sponge filter in there now... i dunno.. now we'll see how it goes

Did you find any of the fry foods, Trobe? Like Liquifry For Egglayers, frozen baby brine shrimp in the freezer section, or even brineshrimp eggs to hatch yourself?

Guest FinnyFinnedFriend

some breeders have cultures you can purchase, although you may just need to get BBS as they will begin producing faster, most of these you have to get from online though, I wonder if the triops thing I saw in nnnnnn today was brine shrimp eggs. . . . ponders at this however your best bet would probably be making your own fry food. . . cheaper anyway and if your following the egg yolk recipie make sure you can properly boil an egg. (first time I tried I got the white part cooked but the yolk was quite runny) I still have the recipe somewhere if you want it. .

Edited by FinnyFinnedFriend

For a few weeks, Trobe. When they get bigger, you can switch to either finely crumbled "adult" food, or I just purchase frozen food that is bigger.

At first its either frozen brine shrimp, or frozen rotifier, then it could be frozen daphnia (they are slightly bigger), then off it goes to chopped frozen bloodworms. Lots of protein is important in the first few months of their life, it gives them the proper start in life on growing.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Trobe

hmm.. well only one survived... most got eaten by the filter... next time the sponge filter will go in right away... i also had baby platties ... so i put them in together figuring they're all small... well the goldfish ate thing, the little bugger.... anyways... i only got one... better luck next time...

Wow, sorry that only one made it, but, yes, thats what the filter will do to them. They are just not strong enough to escape that suction. Sponge filter are perfect for fry.

Well, now all you need is another batch of eggs... :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...