Peas ?

Blue

Thanks for the tip. I'll put some in water in the fridge now and let osmosis do its job! I assume it's ok to keep the peas in their skins until right before feeding (does osmosis happen through thte skins?)?

--sea

Guest Kristinwegiesngoldies

Hello, I'm new to keeping my goldies - Larry the Oranda, Fussy the fantail and Lemon Drop a Lion head. I was hesitant about feeding peas put my "guys" Love, Love, Love them. My guys are small and 3 peas does cause some cloudiness to the water but I am a water changer (early ick and tail rot problems).

They love to get every last bit out of the broken pea shells.

• Supporter

Sea, just wanted to let you know that I fed my fish frozen peas with added salt for six months before realizing there was salt in them and they lived through it, so ia m sure you will be ok for a bit....usually now I have to look for the package that says UNsalted peas! Stupid processed food.

Edited by jen626

Thanks Jen, I gave peas a try and my guys were confused at first but gobbled the peas down very quickly! I only gave each one half a pea so far since I am not sure if this is the right thing to do. I am giving peas for constipation/SBD/vertical swimming problems that they are having. I am also giving medigold since one is just coming off a bacterial infection (it is day 18 of the MG). If you get a chance can you please take a look at my thread in the disease section and let me know if you have any advice or possible explanations for what happened to my fish? It is not urgent since the worst of the bacterial problem seems to have passed with the medigold and marcyn2 but I am not sure what started the constipation/SBD and bacterial problems in the first place (or if they are related) and what to do to prevent it in the future.

Thanks, sea

• Supporter

I am probably not the best person to look at your other post, I am pretty new to this myself, but I will read it and see if anything comes to mind, and if not, maybe I can pm someone who I think will be able to help. Good luck!

I feed my fish peas all the time, that and Frozen shrimp of some kind (I forgot what it is and Im to lazy to check at the moment). I have also fed mine Broccoli which almost resulted in a minor disaster! I had it clipped to the inside of the tank, they were eating it when I got a call from my mom. She needed my help Urgnetly (the Lab got down the stairs but could not get back up, shes old) and she couldent get her out of the basement. I rushed out of the house and forgot about the broccoli. I came back exhausted and went to bed, when I woke up the next morning the whole place smelled HORRIBLE. I couldnt figure it out, then I remembered.. OMG THE BROCCOLI! Needless to say I did a few water changes that day to get rid of the smell and the bad water. The fish are fine, but they will not go near broccoli anymore.. they dont even acknowladge it anymore... ;)

Here they are, the first and last time with broccoli.

P5140189.jpg

Guest jamoko

my fish adore peas! it's their favourite food! my four new pond fish have also taken to them well which is a good job as my comet will still be expecting his peas when he moves to the pond :rofl

i've also fed mine a slice or two of banana...they picked wee bits off it and seemed to like it well enough!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Fred Sambo

i've been feeding my goldfish peas lately, as a treat, and they LOVE them! i now give them a balanced diet of flakes, brine shrimp and peas (not all at once or every day). they won't touch the lettuce on the clamp though, they actually stay away from it, i think they think it is another fish. lol

Edited by Fred Sambo

• 2 weeks later...

About a hour ago i bought some frozen non-salted peas. I let them unfreeze then i put them in the microwave for 40 seconds. I deshelled them and cut them into tiny pieces. I fed my fish them and they all died :cry1 .

Just Kidding. :rofl they loved them. I hand fed my black moor goggles because she wasn't getting much. This is the first time goggles ever let me hand feed her :rolleyes: . All my fish loved the peas. The Goldies, Guppies, Cat fish, and the placotumus(algae eater). I was funny watching the guppies chase eachother to try to steal the pea the other one was carring :rofl

Then i got a pic of Goggles begging for more with her mouth open so I had to edit it a little. Here is the pic.

STA707101.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I tend to buy frozen garden peas.Don't know who would do unsalted peas in canada.Maybe one of our US,Canadian members will know.I'll see if I can find someone who can help you find some :)

Edited by Blue

hi, i cannot seem to find unsalted frozen peas at my local grocery store. What brand sells unsalted frozen peas? Maybe if i know what brand to look for might make it easier to find. :)

thanks

karla

Karla I have just asked around using fresh peas are ok.Avoid tinned as they are near always salted.Hopefully someone will be along soon who can be of more help.

Guest wayneson.chan

hi, i cannot seem to find unsalted frozen peas at my local grocery store. What brand sells unsalted frozen peas? Maybe if i know what brand to look for might make it easier to find. :)

thanks

karla

Safeway has some unsalted peas. Thats where mine are from. Its the Safeway brand frozen peas.

Edited by wayneson.chan

i made sure i prepared my peas the right way so my fish wouldnt be harmed by them i put two in the tank and bubbles was scared of them YES scared of them! i mean its a pea! he just hid in the corner behind the plant staring at them like get them away! he looked relieved when i took them out