55 And 125 Reef Tanks

jsrtist

No, they're not my tanks?they belong to my friend. We were reorganizing the live rock in the 125 last night and I took some shots.

Here are his sailfin tang and perc in the 125: (it is still pretty new so not much in it yet)

sailfin.jpg

Here is a full shot of his 55. He is planning to upgrade to a 75 soon!

55.jpg

The new yellow tang and another perc:

tang.jpg

A brain and two of the clams. (I think they are croceas? but am not sure! They are ORA, captive-raised.)

clams.jpg

Green star polyps and a nice hammer. (If you look closely you can see the pseudo peeking out!)

hammer.jpg

No you're right, I think they are squamosas? LOL! I was going back and forth over all the clam names in my mind. I remember him saying he wanted a maxima or gigas so I knew it wasn't those!! :)

:lol: If I did I would want this spotted beauty i found the other day in the Lfs..does anyone know how big these get???spottyone.jpg:heart

Ditto's... Not a good choice for a fish...if it fits in its mouth it is gone!!!!

They can get to be 1' 8" in the home aquarium.... This is a very hardy and long-lived animal provided it is kept in an ample-sized, fish-only aquarium of 300 gallons or larger, with sufficient filtration. These guys will grow rapidly, so you must be sure that the tank you have them in is of sufficient size. The Panther Grouper will eat any fish and invertebrates it can swallow.

You know, it is really sad how many fish stores sell (ours included) that are just not suitable for the home aquarium. Take the little tiny boxfish/cowfish for example that sell at about 1" long, then get over a foot long. There are just so many fish out there like that.

My advice, before getting ANYTHING, research how big it will get?crabs, stars, fish, coral, anything. Make sure you will have enough room for it and that it will be compatible. It's very hard to find a new home for a huge SW fish that no one else wants. :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, not trying to resurrect an old thread, but I wanted to post some updated pictures of the tank that I took last night. The mushroom corals on the right side of the 55 gallon have gone crazy and are the size of small dinnerplates now!! It is so amazing so I wanted to post pics and show everyone. :)

We are still in the process of setting up the 75 gallon. It just needs the lights and then it will be ready to go. I'll post pics on the progress of that, too.

Here is a shot of the whole tank:

55-1.jpg

And a close up of the mushrooms. The perc likes to host in them!

mushroom.jpg