You'll Never Believe This...

Ok, so I have posted that I am revamping thsi small pond. Well, I had planned on stocking with two fancies that I would pick out and would winter inside. This has still remained the case, but now it's one fish that I will pick out.

Today I rescued a very nice fantail goldfish and what I think is perhaps a rasberry tetra from someone who decided that they no longer wanted thier fish so they decided to shut off the filters, stop feeding and stop cleaning the tank. Apparently the tank was so green the owner had to seriously hunt to find the fish to catch them...

There were two goldies and a tropical but one goldie didn't make it... :( So the tetra goes in the angel tank and if he lives a few days, I'll get him a couple of friends since I think they are schooling fish. The goldie is in a 55 trop tank with 2 leopard ctenos a small african knife and a syno, but the situation is temporary until the pond is ready to go.

It kills me tha tsomeone would just decide to kill their fish. But at least I know i can give the fish a good home and an eventual small pond to call his own! Wow do I miss goldifish!! And I'm glad to be coming back!!

It's really nice of you to rehome those poor fish, it was heartless for that person to just leave them to die.

I'm concerned that you have put them straight in with your own fish, I hope they are not carrying any microscopic nasties with them.

agreed on that post... but I always thought that all fish carrid the bacteriea for ich and such with them all the time... that it was poor water conditions and low immune systems that activated teh illnesses...??? Is this correct? I worried too, but as I have had the same fish for two years with no deaths and no additions, I don't run a quarantine tank. I am religious about water changes and water quality, so I was hoping for the best.

Should I be adding aquarium salt just for the meantime do you think??

That can be true about fish carrying ich and other bacterias that live in their tank, fish develope a tolerance or immunity to low concentrations of these organisms. Also true that stress and bad water conditions can weaken fish so that these micro-organisms take hold and multiply. These new fish could be carrying something that they are quite accustomed too but it may be something new to your fish.

There is no guarantee that salt in any dose will kill all parasites/bacteria so there isn't really any point unless you only want to salt as a tonic at .01%, one teaspoon per gallon.

I realise these new fish caught you on the hop but you can run a quarantine tub in a large plastic/rubber tub and a sponge filter without too much expense. At this point your fish have already been exposed to the new fish so there probably isn't much point in separating them now. I hope everything works out ok, just keep a close eye on things.

Welcome back to kokos chellekin- haven't noticed you around since I joined so hope its safe to say that! Good for you rescuing the fish. I cannot understand it when people do that. Anyway hopefully all will be okay from now and they are not carrying any nasties as Fishmerised ponted out. They were lucky to get you! :):goodluck