Pipefish

Hi i just got a new brown colored pipefish, it's my first one ever. I have seen them but never had one before. A friend gave me the fish as a gift. I need some help can u guys help me out and tell me:

What they eat?

Are they salt or fresh water?

Can it go in a 5 gallon tank with a betta?

What does the water temp need to be?

Thx so much, i know i sound dum asking all this but i just need to know so i know what to do, and if you have any good care sheets i would love to have one. The fish was a gift i did not know i was getting it.

Well... that's a toughie, seeing as you have no idea what species it is. There are freshwater, marine and brackish species but you'd have to know what species you have. Kind of difficult to identify with with the vague description of "brown". But for starters:

What do they eat? drifting live food like Daphnia or baby brine shrimp, possibly blackworms or tubifex but I wouldn't go with the worms personally...

Can it go in a five gallon with a betta? Probably not, but it seems too late in your case to provide better quarters...

water temp? nothing lower than 75'F. anything above room temperature would be desirable (unless you live in a tropical country that is)

Hmmm, well he's yellow/brown colored, maybe about 5 or so inches right now. My friend told me it's freshwater but she had no clue what kind it is. I asked her where she got it, she told me out of state when she was on a trip. I got brine shrimp all ready so that will be fine. I did breed bettas before so i have lots of brine shrimp eggs i can hatch. hmm Well if u have any care sheets i can look at that will help to. I'll try to get some pics up VERY soon.

looks like the freshwater pipefish that were offered for sale in our LFS once. I have no idea what species it is but it doesn't look like a brackish species. All I can advise for now is to observe it closely if it seems to have any adverse reactions to the tank water (rapid or labored breathing, one gill closing, buoyancy problems, etc.) and post the details here. You should also begin a culture of the baby brine shrimp and see if it'll take to them. It looks like they're the right size for his mouth. If you had acquired Asian varieties of freshwater pipefish, they're much more difficult to feed because there's very few kinds of live food that could fit in their mouths! :D

It looks to me like a gar. There are a ton of different kinds but I would do a search on them. They are predatory and many of them get pretty big. And no, a 5 gallon is not large enough for them. They eat only live fish (such as feeder guppies) so they will most likely not eat the brine shrimp or daphnia.

Archived