Signs Of An Internal Parasite & A Fungus

Dory

Hi guys I have gone from koko's for a long time. The two fish in my 55g are developing some kind of internal parasite I think. Actually they may have had it for 2 or 3 weeks because I thought I was just imagining things as I usually do, then I get all panicked and give them all kinds of meds that they don't really need. On the 2nd I bought them a really huge Emperor 400 bio wheel filter (I think it goes up to 80 gallons)and had to do a huge (60% ++++) water change because the filter was so big it wouldn't fit in between the tank and the wall so I had to move the entire tank to fit it wich meant I had to get most of the water out of the tank. Now that I looked on the calandar I realized that they haven't had a waterchange since!!!! :unsure::cry1:wall I really feel stupid to forget to change their water for so long! One of my fish has been looking skinnier and today I noticed that she had some red streaks in her fins, but then a few hours later they had vanished! They are both having stringy poos and the other on has something on her tail that looks unmistakably like a fungus. I am doing big huge water changes as we speak and tonight I will probably dose the tank up with Parasite Clear tablets. I would salt it as well, but I don't have enough salt! Please any recomendations, advice, or anything else would be helpful and appreciated! thanks!

As youve removed 60% of the water then the fish are in a smaller tank in theory as the filter is now taking up most of the space.

As the tank was a 55 gallon youve probably reduced the water to fit a 20 gallon ish tank.

I think really if the filter is that big then you need to get a tank that the filter can fit in and not take so much water out. You need to keep doing water changes and test your water as the filter would have needed to cycle and this would put the strain on your fish.

As Abrya has mentioned you need to fill in the red box above for more help.

When I put the new filter in I did replace the water that I took out so it is still the full 55 gallons. The old filter is not running, it stoped working that's why I had to buy a new one, but I did put the old filter cartriges in the new filter along with the new filter cartriges so in theory it should still be cycled. plus I forgot to mention that when I noticed them having stringy poos I started feeding medigold, that was probably at least a week ago,but it may be past its date so I'm not sure if it will do any good. As for the water params I haven't tested it recently but I will try to to so soon. I haven't added any new fish or anything like that and as of yet there have been no strange behavior. I usually change about 50% of the water once a week and I do use water conditioner. Dusty, the one that has been looking skinnier is a 5 inch fantail and SunFlash is the one with the fungus on her tail. She is a 2 inch lionhead. thanks for the quick replies!