My Tank Is Like A Jacuzzi! Worried.

Finally I have almost hit X10 filtration in my 100Gal (UK).

I've 3 filters in there now and I'm at 912gph. There is no more going in!!

I'm concerned about my new BOYU filter. It's great and pumps 1750lph (463gph) but the power and force at which the water comes out concerns me. The tank is starting to look like a Jacuzzi!

The fish have their vital quiet spots down at the bottom of the tank but the water just seems far too turbulent for my liking. If any of the little guys swim in front or even near the output of the BOYU they get blown away to the other side of the tank.

The video doesn't really portray it very well but trust me it looks quite rough in there.

At the moment there are only 3 fish but as I add more I don't know how they will avoid the outflow of all the filters.

Is there any way I can calm down the output flow? Unlike other filters there is no "flow rate control" it's just one rate. Does anyone have one of these filters?

It's a great item but very, very powerful!

In the video you can see the BOYU 2300A filter beside the large canister Juwel filter both on the left hand side of the tank as you look at it. The Clear Seal is running alone on the far right hand side.

(You can also see how beautiful Chloe the Calico Oranda is!!!)

What do you guys think? Am I over reacting?

http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c126/red...ent=Filter2.flv

http://www.boyuaquarium.com/pro-submersiblefilterE.htm

Hi Kila, your new tank looks great! :D

I'm not sure of the specifics as I'm not familiar with those filter brands and I have a much smaller tank so have not encountered the problems you've had trying to get your 10x filtration on such a large tank.

Having said that, from the video it does look kind of rough from the output nozzles, but I suppose the real test is how easily your fish can swim around ALL areas of the tank without being blasted around and weather they can escape it if they want to.

Maybe you could try spray bars, that way you can distribute the flow more evenly around the tank and it may help to slow it down a bit.

I'm sure there must be someone on the site who has encountered this problem before, best of luck with it! :)

BTW Lovely fishies!

:blink: Wow!! Now that looks like something that could do some damage. :lol: What brand of filter is that? They almost look like Powerheads in there.You can't even kind of block them with an ornament or such because of how high they sit up.Are the fish able to swim normally once they're under that?

Cheers bumblebee!

Thanks for the compliments. Glad you like the tank and fish. :)

You're spot on with the spray bar idea. I thought the same and have been looking online for a BOYU one but no luck!

My Clear Seal filter has one and it's perfect to diffuse the flow. Unfortunately it doesn't fit the BOYU otherwise I'd swop it around.

At the moment I have the BOYU plugged out as the poor guys can't really swim around fully when it's on, it's like they're constantly fighting the current. It went from a peaceful tank to a whirlpool....not ideal.

I don't know what to do!

:blink:

Hi Devs,

Sorry, didn't see your post before I had posted before.

It's a BOYU filter

http://www.boyuaquarium.com/pro-submersiblefilterE.htm

It's a bit of a lunatic of a thing!

I have it plugged out at the moment but I do need it because without it I'm only filtered to about X6.

I wish I could diffuse the flow somehow. I've tried pointing it to the back wall but it's even more dangerous that way because if one the fish swim in front of it they'll be smacked off the wall.

So it remains off and I remain confused!

It must be really frustrating, I know it's taken you a while to get it set up this far - don't worry you will get it sorted soon.

As for a spray bar for the BOYU, maybe just try adapting a generic/basic one with some adapters/rubber seals. I know you're in Italy, but I think Fluval and interpet do them in the UK, maybe try Ebay? The seals and adapters you can usually get from pond supply shops. :)

Y'know Bak2it, that might work!

If I point it at the wall directly so the first thing it hits is the wall and i'll leave no room for fish to swim between...mmmmm.....I'll try it when the tank refills (still cycling, still changing 60% water everyday, I'm murdered from it!!)

The only internal filters i use are the resun magic-jet filters. They are the only ones with spray bars, but they also only go up to 1000L/hr. I use them in my tank and they are a beauty. I also have 2 other canister filters.

When i had my smaller tank (150L ish) i had a 1500L/hr internal filter with no spray bar, the whole tank just swirled around and around and around.. the gravel couldn't even stay still! So i changed it for a 1200L/hr model and it was much better.

Oh and devs they are powerhead driven filtration systems :)

But i never found a way to add a spray bar to my old internal filters, so i upgraded to the resun magic-jets, they are really quiet compared to my old internals and come with the all important spray bar. They arent expensive either, they are one of the cheaper brands that i've seen.

Heres a link to them

• 2 weeks later...

Kila-what did you end up doing here? That jet spray is like nothing I have ever seen before!! :yikes:lol: Its amazing that one fish actually swam through it. Your big oranda is a real beauty :heart

:D I did notice that it was powerheads once I got off of work and had some sleep. :lol: At the time,I couldn't see the one link to the filter itself,and was not familiar with it. :rolleyes:

Hey Kila,How are things going?

I cant see the vid :(

However I do have a similiar problem with one of my filters and I point it upwards and to the wall, that way I get massive surface curent and the wall breaks it up. I have to keep the water level 3 inch or so lower as some squirts over it onto the coverglass.

Another idea is can you get a big rock, so it can bounce off the wall and rock to help break it up.

• 2 weeks later...