Revamping A Pond, Need Help

Hi all,

I need some advice. There is an unused pond at my new abode and I'd like to start it up. It has water in it and what the downstairs occupant thinks are baby snails in it. I don't know what they are. They look like sesame seeds but half the size. And the other problem is that one, I've never ran a pond and two, I don't know how you do a water change on one that was not built up high enough. A siphon is a real problem when you can't use gravity to get it going. Although I might be able to hook my python to the outdoor spigot for pull, that might work.

I guess for starters:

What kind of a pond filter would I need for what looks like a 30-40 gallon pond? I'd like to put two goldfish in there, no more, no less. How do I safely get rid of these "water fleas" or snails or sesame seeds? How do I change the water, and are there any particular outside chemicals I need to get?

It's just too good an opportunity to pass up on!

Thanks!

Its only 30-40 gallons? THats a teeny pond! lol

Well for such a small pond, you can go to your local lowes or home depot and buy a premade pond filter. It will probably keep that thing sparkling since they are made for larger ponds.

If you want to get rid of the little things in your pond..well...if it were me, id just drain the thing, put a tad of bleach and fill the thing with water and scrub the sides to make sure you got all the little critters. Id fill it up and drain it again to make sure most of the bleach residue is out, then add a dechlorinator (because I heard that will get the bleach too) and then let it sit for a few days before adding fish just to make sure...but Im a very cautious person! Thats just what I would do.

Good luck with your little pond. :)

Edited by gia_ekdahl

LOL, you remember my fish?! Herbie (the ranchu) is well, and the ryukin....hmm......... I dunno which one? Mine are more fantails than ryu's.

You know what? I'll never forget your birthday, HAHA.

Good luck with the pond........ it's an addictive hobby, ain't it? :D

You definately want to get rid of those snails because they will get into your pump and make things bad. They clog up my filter all the time and I hate them. Unfotunately my fish are large and I have not place for everyone so I can exterminate the snails.

Bleach could be a good way of killing them. I do know that Potassium Permanganate will kill them. Plus you can use Potassium Permanganate to sterlize any plant before you put it in your pond. You just don't want to use it while your fish are in the pond because it could kill them if you use too much. It will not harm plants.

Scott

Where do I get potassium permanganate and how do I filter a pond this small? I've been looking around and pumps seem to be everywhere but for a pond this small they are all too big. I'm almost thinking of droping a carbon/floss box bubbler into the thing!

Welcome back! I have never been able to find PP at Sears (they looked at me like I was crazy) and the closest I found was a diluted form in Jungle Clear Water. If you use the whole bottle it gets the water nice and dark purple.

you can get PP at most Koi sites on the enternet. I know we don't have any stores in my area that sale it. I bought mine from wasatchkoi.com which is in Salt Lake City, close enough to where I get it next day without extra shipping cost.

Scott