Fishing And Fish Collecting Pics

This weekend I went both fishing and fish collecting and came up with some great results.

Sunday I went fishing at a small pond I know of, my goal was channel catfish that night, I ddin't get any of those but i did get some bluegill and bass, none of them very large but they were attractive and would make fine aquaria fish, I let them all go.

Largemouth Bass

lbm.jpg

Bluegill

nightgill.jpg

gilly2.jpg

Monday I went collecting on the shore of Cayuga Lake and finally caught the fish I have been looking for, a 2" rock bass. I also netted a ton of bluntnose minnows, a male/female pair of tesselated darters and a small pumpkinseed. Along with the rock bass I kept the darters.

Me with my net

netting2.jpg

bucket.jpg

Some sculpin eggs, these were under just about every other rock, I didn't catch any actual sculpins this time though

sculpineggs.jpg

The little rock bass in his new home.

rocky3.jpg

After that I went over to Seneca Lake for some more fishing and caught a bunch of brown trout. Here is one of them.

browntrout.jpg

Guest calico4

nice! I like how you put them in a tank. good idea! I went fishing too over the weekend. I cought about 25 bluegills and 6-7 12in+ bass and 5 rock bass. I was fishing with a kid (only 9- 10 and he ended up catching a 10 lb catfish in a catch and release pond which is rarely stocked. So it was a cool weekend.

-calico

Thanks!!! Most of the fish I keep I have caught myself or are U.S. natives. I think I have 13 different kinds of native fish at the moment of various species and sizes and I prefer them over any tropical fish and goldfish. You can see my bullhead catfish and pumpkinseed sunfish in my signature banner.

You should have taken pictures of your trip, sounds like it was a lot of fun. I think rock bass have to be my favorite fish to catch, they are small but they put up a nice fight for their size and they are really pretty to look at.

Wow, those are great pics and it looks like a lot of fun!! I love the native species. We have abundant bluegill in the river here and I always thought they were very pretty fish. We would always get them in our feeder tanks at the store and since they're native, we couldnt sell them. A guy that used to work with us had a large pond he'd always put them in.

Very cool sandtiger. Looks like you had a great time.

I'll tell ya, when I first read about how you got some of your pet fish, I was a little taken aback. I mean I know that you know what you're doing, you've proven time and again your knowledge of fish; but still... pulling fish out of the big river and putting them in a little tank just didn't seem right.

But from the pictures it seems like you give them a great home. Very natural looking! That little rock bass looks like he couldn't be happier in there :D

Thanks for sharing.

I can understand how people would disagree with taking the fish from the wild but I honetly don't think the fish care. I have had most of my fish start eating the same day I caught them and some have even spawned with the introduction of the warm water, the change must not cause that much trama if they convert to captive life so fast. And least they don't have to worry about predators, pollution, parasites or lack of food.

Na, thinking about it now I can really see several advantages. Most of your fish are probably healthier when you bring them home than some of the petstore fish. ;)

Plus that if you ever had the misfortune of a fish outgrowing your tank, you could conceivably release them back w/ little or no affect on the local ecosystem.

And really the fish's life has to be exponentially better in the environment you provide versus their natural one, like you mentioned.

If you really stop and think about it; if more people did it your way, it might slow down or stop some of the more questionable practices of the fish trade like dyeing or over-fishing to extinction.

Regardless, some really neat pics there; and I look forward to seeing some more.

Same thing you would feed any other fish. Cichlid or goldfish pellets, shrimp pellets, flakes, algae wafers. Sometimes it's hard to get them to eat flakes because they don't really know it's food, because of this they all get a diet rich in frozen foods like blood worms, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp. When I have it they get live food like insects, daphina, crayfish etc.

Here is another picture of him. Right now he is in a 29g with native community, I have to wait for him to grow a bit before I can put him with the big natives.

redeye.jpg

He is a long way off but someday he will look like this. :heart:D

250px-Ambloplites_rupestris.jpg

F%20Holston%20N%20Rock%20Bass.jpg

Guest 20292

What are the tank requirements for the rock bass and what do they need for like food and filteration and thinkg like that! Could make like a care sheet for us so we can get to know the rock bass becuase when we go fishing we always catch those by the bank becuase the bank is made of nothing but rock and i was wondering what their requirements were for keeping! Thanks!

Archived