Sign in to follow this  
Guest invertedsilver

Ugf Question.

Guest invertedsilver

Just how does an under gravel filter work?

What are it's pros and cons?

Who recomends them, and who would rather do without them?

Fishie is quite well, as far as i can see.

I added a few new rocks to his tank (so they make a bridge, beside his little rock cave. I purchased two fake plants, pellet food, and water treater, all on my own money too, don't belated birthday gifts rock? :heart ), but because of limited space and meterials, I can't do much with the aquascape. If I had something biiiig to work with, I'd go crazy. :lol:

I've learned that picking him up in my hand is alot easyer than netting him, and I think quicker and less tramatic.

Is it just me, or does fish tank water make your hands softer? :blink:

I would not recommend them for goldies. Goldies produce a huge amount of waste and those kind of filters can just not handle all the load and do not do a good job of filtering out the debris. Much better to have a power filter, over the back of the tank fliter or an intank canister filter. The filter needs to be able to filter about 100-150 gph and an undergravel filter just can not do that. When I had a very small 3 gallon tank I had one and found it to be just about useless. The tank was always cloudy even right after a water change. Might be o.k. for a gallon bowl for a betta but not recommended for goldies

As for the decor of your tank . It depends on what you like . I have a almost entirely bare bottom tank. ( it is easier to keep clean because it is easier to see uneaten food, poop etc so you can remove it by netting it out inbetween partial water changes.) I have a small island of river rocks in the middle of the tank and and the ancient bridge ( got from vvvv) sitting on top of it. I also have the coral reef tank backround on the back of my tank. The rocks provide the chance for the goldies to scavenge for food and looks neat with the bridge on it. And the bridge gives them a place to hide if they want to.I guess I am a minimalist when it comes to decor.

Edited by goldfishcrazy2

Guest JFriend33

studies have shown, a bare bottom tank, with whatever regular filtration of your choice (hang on back, or canister) and including the use of a biowheel, will give your tank a bigger bio capacity than one with gravel and a UGF. if you absolutely insist on a ugf, make sure you run it reverse flow with powerheads.

I don't like a UGF unless it is a little one gallon betta bowl. They are gross. With goldies so much stuff can build up so quickly that the water quality goes south fast.

I agree that using your hands to capture your fish is much better than a net. I used to do that, until my babies grew into beasts. :D

I don't know about fish water making your hands softer, but I know used fish water will make houseplants grow like crazy!

In my opion UGF are way out dated. There are much better ways to filter your tank.

I agree that standard under gravel filters aren't real well suited for goldfish tanks.

But, the absolutely best filtration systems for freshwater tanks uses gravel and under gravel filter plates with no uplift holes. The tanks used for this type of filtration, must be drilled with a minimum of two bulkhead holes in the bottom of the tank for draining water and the waste out from under the gravel and filter plates.

A pump draws the water through the gravel and out of the bottom of the tank, runs it through mechanical and biological filter media and the pumps the water back into the top of the tank.

That makes perfect sence to me since the goo sinks and seems to burrow deep in the gravel. That way your gravel is always getting cleaned. Do you ever have to vacuum a system like that?

Cleaning out the corners and around decorations, during water changes, is all the vacuuming that's required. The open patches of gravel will have no gunk in them.

:blink: Wow! I am amazed!

One step closer to that maintenance free tank of my dreams! :D

Oooh - my hubby has promised me a built in when we finally get around to our addition, I think I will have to check into this!!!

Hmmm...... :yeah: