Sign in to follow this  
Angelle

Ick?

Hi

I have a 125 litre tank with two goldies. one fantail 3 1/2 inches without tail and one oranda 1 1/2 inches.

Tank is on the 23rd day of cycling. Reading today after forty percent water change were

ammonia .1

nitrite .25

nitrate 30

I noticed my fantail hanging in the middle of tank today with top fin clamped to body. Had a closer look and his body is white so cant see anything but i can see three tiny white spots on the red in his tail....i assume this is ich.

i was already salting to 1 percent so have raised to 2 percent and started the temp climbing. Turned all lights off. Will raise to 3 percent in 12 hours.

How high do i let temp get? And am I jumping the gun a bit? Should I have waited to be sure its ick or is the sooner the better? I know the salt wont hurt the fish so Im assuming Im doing the right thing by treating ASAP.

Any advise appreciated

Angelle

It does sound like ich which can make an appearance on new set ups.

SLOWLY take the temp to 82f and add extra air if you can. The salt at .3% will kill the ich but keep it salted for around 4 days after the last spot.

Remember to calculate the amount of salt you take out in water changes so you can add it again.

Thanks Sandy!! Always coming to my rescue!

I have a bubble bar the length of my tank already. That should be enough right? Raising the temp now. And will be at three percent tomorrow at 7 am.

And will replace salt after water changes.

Im glad I spend alot of time during the day watching them. I may not have noticed he was acting differently because he still comes to the front of the tank all excited when I walk up to it. Only noticed from across the room that he was "hanging" in the water like that.

Hugs for being here Sandy!!! :)

No probs. :)

Sounds like you have enough air going in, just keep a close eye on those spots and keep us informed. :)

Hiya sorry no update yesterday! Didnt get a chance to get online.

I dont see any white spots on my fantail anymore but now the white part of his fins have a funny brown tint to them!!! :cry1 Any ideas of what this could be. Oranda seems ok still.

Have salted to three percent. Should I do anything else?

any advice appreciated,

Very worried!

The brown tinge could be due to ammonia burn - which means it's healing. So if you can, try to get your parameters better by doing some big waterchanges - they're almost good though :) Also, try to calculate how many gallons you change so you know how much salt to replace. It's a good idea to keep up the salt for a good 10 days after you see the last one disappear :)

Hiya jen.

I have been doing water changes everyday while tank is cycling. this morning when I left this last post I hadnt tested yet. I did that after posting and my nitrite was sky high!! Higher than its ever been. I did a huge water change this morning and his fins look better all ready. Think Ill have to test twice a day for awhile to stay on top of it.

Now this fishes body is white so the only way I could tell he had white spot is by looking at his fins. Today I did notice a spot on his body....but its weird. The only way I can describe it is it looks like a white head but red around it. Thinking this isnt ick....any ideas? Hes swimming around happily now and eating ok. I was going to try and post a picture but its so small dont think it would do any good.

Have been careful to replace all salt removed :)

Could be an injury or something bacterial (sometimes the water quality really sets these guys up for other problems). If he's acting OK I would keep a very close eye & see if it looks better with the better water conditions.

Any changes in it (gets redder, expands) or changes in the way your fish is acting & I would start feeding medigold (or if you don't have any of it or access to it you can put some antibiotics in the water.)

:D Jenn

Thanks

I got up this morning and checked him first thing and the spot is completely gone!! Like it never was there. So i assume it was an ich parasite. He does have one spot left on his tail. Today will be day three at 3 percent salt. Probably lucky he is quite big and I caught it early.

Have done another water change as I couldnt tell if the nitrite was .5 or 2 on the colour chart.

He is happy and eating TOO well!!! hehe He is so afraid the other fish is going to get some peas he stuffed his mouth so full he had to spit some out lol

He is a greedy guts...he nibbles my arms and fingers when I am cleaning the tank.

I hoovered the gravel yesterday and couldnt believe the waste in it so I have started scooping some of it out. I will struggle with nitrate as I did with my tropical tank. Thinking of going to a barebottom tank as maybe this will help with keeping on top of the waste?

Lovin' my fishies!!! :heart

Angelle

Barebottom is easier to vac. I like the look of river rocks myself. (I have an in between size & it doesn't cover the entire bottom) In fact in my one tank with regular gravel (it's a betta tank) I grumble every time I have to deal with all the nooks!!

I'm glad it went away on its own. Hopefully all will keep going smoothly!!!

:D

Just an update!!

Fish seem fine. Still at three percent salt and will keep it that way til ten days after last spot is gone. He gets excited and swims really fast when I go up to the tank so cant really get a good look. I think he might have two on his tail still.

I went to a petstore today to get some water conditioner and had a look at their goldies. It made me really sad. Every tank had fish in them that looked sick. One big black Oranda had ick all over it. Was lying on the bottom of the tank not moving and it was covered with it. :cry1 And there was no sign on the tank saying it was being treated or that no one could buy them. I saw a gorgeous Calico Ryukin that looked really unhappy in another tank. Why dont they do something for these fish?? The man that owns the place thinks he knows it all. I was looking at tanks in there once and asked about one. He asked what kind of fish I wanted to put in it and i said goldies and he started telling me how it wasnt big enough. It was thirty gallons. He was standing in front of glass fish bowls that probably only held a couple of gallons of water. I said..."then why do you sell those to kids for goldfish" he looked sheepish and started talking to my son.

Id really like to stop spending my money there but i dont drive and the nearest decent place is a 20 minute drive from my house.

Anyway...thanks everyone for your help! My fishies appreciate it! :D

ok....fish are ok and seem happy. Eating well and swimming around happily. Today was watching them and the one that had ick had a funny poo. Was long and stringy...which i have read is a sign of bacterial infection, right?

I checked at my fish shop and they dont do antibiotic meds....so not sure what to do??

Still salted at 3 percent for another 7 days testing daily and doing water changes. Its 125 litre tank and have been doing about 50 to 60 litres a day and retesting to be sure levels are safe.

Thanks

Angelle

So theres still two spots on the tail? If they dont go in a couple of days it may be something else, any chance of a pic?

The poo may be down to stress so give him a pea and see if that helps.

Hiya Sandy!

No white spots anymore. And I feed them a pea everyday. Havent seen him poo since that last stringy one.

I have been faithfully testing and changing water everyday. Today I tested and my nitrites seem to be falling now. So maybe the filter is finally starting to do its job!!!!!

The fish in question, Chip seems happy enough so maybe it is stress. What would you need a pic of...the fish or the poo?? lol

Ill check back in later!! :)