Sign in to follow this  
Guest stephanied6

Nitrite & Nitrate

Guest stephanied6

Holy moly I tested my tank water and the nitrates are pretty high!

The PH is 7.6 , the same out of tap

the amonia is 0

the nitrite is 0.8

the nitrate is 10

My tank is 29 gallons with 3 gold fishes

I do 30 to 35 % water changes every week, sometimes more.

I clean my tank ornaments with purple permanganate twice a week ( I soak ornaments in water & purple)

Filters are aqua tech with active carbon

no medications, no water conditioners

I feed flake food and medicated fish food for stringy poop they have been having, medicated food I feed tree days in a week for four weeks, made by jungle.

fish look healthy, eating well. I changed like 80% of my tank water and there is still the amount of 0.8 of nitrite in water after change, how do I bring it down, please help!!!

What is the level of nitrite in your tap water after it has settled about 24 hours? That might be some of the issue. Is your tank fully cycled? If it was, there might have been some sort of bump in the cycle causing the death of some of the BB that turn the ammonia into nitrite. I would keep with the water changes (assuming your tap water nitrite is 0) to get and keep it below .5 while I rode out the bump. Shouldn't take long since you are getting nitrates. Keep us updated!

Edited by Lady_Dodecagon

Hi Stephanie - there's nothing wrong with your nitrates, in fact if I could get my nitrates to 10 I'd be jumping for joy. A good level for nitrates is anything below 20.

Now for your nitrites - what model Aquatech filter is it? How many gallons per hour does it turn over? I suspect it's not enough for your tank which may be why it's having trouble converting OR..... how long has your tank been set up? It also sounds like your ending your tanks cycle which is when you would still see nitrites and low level nitrates. So if your tank has been set up for roughly 6 weeks, this would also make sense :)

Edit: Oops Michelle - knew i was a bit slow in my response :D

Guest stephanied6

My tank has been running for more than a month, maybe 2 or more. As for my filters they are as I said aquaqtech EZ change filters #3 with activated carbon and I dont know how much gallons it is turning over per hour, how do I find out? I was sure my tank was finished cyclcing cause for a while there was no trace of amonia & nitrites, there is some algea that keeps bulding up in my tank wich I clean all the time. I will perform another water change and test the nitrites out of my tap , I never did that before. I'll keep you posted

I just tried to do a search on them and came up with squat. Do you still have the box they came in? Or instruction booklet?

Anyhoo, from the little i gleaned it may not be enough for a 29 gallon tank - you basically want to try and get filtration that turns over 290 gallons per hour.

A good filter for a 29 gallon would be a Penguin Biowheel or even an Aquaclear 70 which filters 300 gallons per hour. And you can remove the activated carbon from them and replace them with media that houses good bacteria ie. ceramic noodles, more filter foam or lava substrate. It offers better biological filtration and this is what ensures all toxinx are converted through the nitrogen cycle. Activated carbon is useful when trying to remove meds from a tank but doesn't have the kind of surface that houses a lot of good bacteria. Plus it leeches contaminants back into your tank if not changed every 2-3 weeks (its active lifespan).

Anyhow, post back once you test your source water - it may be there but hopefully not :)

Guest spot'smommy

here is what i have on the aqua-tech filters it depend on what one you have the 20/40 model does 170 gph and the 30/60 model does 330 gph.

did your filter come with your tank set-up ?

I know that the 29 gallon tank kit from wally world come with a 20/40 usually

and the 55 gal kit comes with the 30/60.

so depending on if you filter came in a tank kit or if you purchased it seperately would depend on the model/gph

Guest stephanied6

Ok here's what it says on my fillter packaging , it says fits aquatech 20-40 & 30-60 power filters. the filter came with my 29 gallon aquarium . I tested the nitrites right out of the tap and the levels are 0. When I performed my water tests earlier it read;

Nitrite 1.6 to 3.3

Nitrate 50

amonia 0 , and Ph was perfect 7.2

Can I add some salt to my aquarium to help deal with the nitrites?

I just performed like an 80% water change, same as last night! Thanks hope you can help, I know nitrite is toxic to my fish.

Guest stephanied6

Ok here's what it says on my fillter packaging , it says fits aquatech 20-40 & 30-60 power filters. the filter came with my 29 gallon aquarium . I tested the nitrites right out of the tap and the levels are 0. When I performed my water tests earlier it read;

Nitrite 1.6 to 3.3

Nitrate 50

amonia 0 , and Ph was perfect 7.2

Can I add some salt to my aquarium to help deal with the nitrites?

I just performed like an 80% water change, same as last night! Thanks hope you can help, I know nitrite is toxic to my fish.

The Aquatech line of filters are made for wallyworld by a company called Aquaria, Inc. which is a subsidiary of Marineland. They also make the Penguin line of filters. The Aquatechs are basically the same as Penguins, but they don't have bio-wheels and the cover is different.

Since you got the filter as part of an 29 gallon aquarium package, I can just about assure you that the filter that came with your tank is a Aquatech 20/40. This filter might be fine for a tank full of tropical fish, but it just won't handle the bio-load of a goldfish tank.

JenW gave you some good suggestions for filter you should consider for your aquarium. If you choose a Penguin filter get the model 330.

Until you can get a different filter, keep testing the water, do large frequent water changes to keep the nitrite level at 0.5ppm or lower and salt your tank water to 0.1%. Your 29 gallon tank only holds about 26 gallons of water, so use 26 gallons when you're determining how much salt to add.

If you need any information on how much salt to add or how to do it... Just ask.

Stephanie, its fine to add some salt to help with the nitrites, yes. Remember, its aquarium, rock, solar, pickle salt, nothing that contains chemicals that aren't healthy for the fish. One teaspoon per 1 gl is the low dosage that gets you up to 0.1 %... :)

Guest greykmb

You may also consider that your test kit has gone bad and is giving erroneous readings, especially considering you had the same reading after a water change. That was my first thought when I read the original post. Just a thought....

I don't think it's the test kit as the tap water was tested with a 0 reading :)

Guest stephanied6

I dont think it's my test kit, I tested my water last night and the nitrite has gone down, it was still present but lower, alot lower. I will test again later and see how it's going with nitrite. I did a major water change again last night, with every water change I do the nitrite does go down. I'm going to the pet store on friday to get a better filter for my tank, any suggestions? The only good pet stores we have around are pets unlimited, can I find something good there?

I run a Emperor 400 on my 29 gallon tank and I just love it! But, asking for filter suggestions on here will get you as many suggestions as there are people. :D I have heard good things about Aquaclears, too but I have never used one myself. Just get whatever you like/can afford as long as it pushes at least 300 GPH. Make sure to keep your old filter running alongside it so that the cycle doesn't crash while the new filter is growing biobugs. Let us know how it goes and what you get. :)

Guest stephanied6

I tested my water earlier, the nitrites were between 1.6 to 3.3, the nitrates were at least 20. I performed a major water change , yet again, I changed 18 gallons in all. I retested my water and the nitrites have gone down between 0.3 to 0.1 and the nitrates to 5. Could it be that my cycle had crashed before? I dont know but this is getting frustrating, having to make major water changes every night, cant wait to get my hands on a new filter :(

Have you changed out any of the filter media lately? Or given it a really good cleaning? That may have caused the tank to mini cycle since it is in such a close balance.

I like aquaclears myself (unless you're splurging for a cannister filter) but I have heard that planted tanks can have more difficulty with them (as the media gets full the basket can raise up - I actually use that as my sign that I need to clean it. I don't have plants so I don't have enough waste to really cause a problem)

Hope this helps!

Jenn

(If it makes you feel better my tap water comes with 20 Nitrates & so I never get below that. I've been running all of my tanks for over 2 years now - I also have ammonia but my bioload in all of my tanks can handle that extra. )

Guest stephanied6

I did change my filter lately, and just cleaned the one I have in this week , it was full of sludge, food and poop. My biofiber I rinse once in a while, when it gets sludgy, I do my regular water changes every week, except for this week it's been every night water changes, about 75 to 80 % because of the high nitrites.Well anywayse , i'll be getting a new water filtering system soon.

I'll bet the filter change did it. That's why its so nice to have the extra media baskets. That way you can cycle which media needs changed & the other baskets will hold the cycle better.

When you rinse your filter media make sure to always do it in either old tank water or in treated tap water (untreated tap water will kill off the bacteria)

:D Jenn

Guest stephanied6

If my tank is re cycling how longer does the nitrite stay high like this? I've been doing major water changes daily for a bout a week now! this is ridiculous and exausting :sleeping:

Depends upon how much you've disprupted the cycle. Unfortunately (for your back) it sounds like you're cycling again. It's good that you're keeping up with the water changes though!!!

I forget if you mentioned it but are you using a water conditioner which binds ammonia & nitrite (like Prime). That would also help (It will still show up on your tests & it will be available for the bacteria BUT it will be less toxic for the fish)

:D Jenn