Can Goldfish Live Indefinitely On Flake Food

Lovely_Goldfish

just wondering or must they have other stuff such as floating pellets which I dont really like since it gives the small ones a full mouth and a long time to chew up. pellet food is like when all your fish are that big that their mouth is several times the size of the pellets or for bigger koi. I feed frozen brine shrimp like twice a week, is that any good? How good is whole wheat bread? should they get peas and is the type out of a can any good? is lettuce good? plants? algae wafers?

I dont feed mine floating pellets, just for the simple reason that those pellets say on the water surface for a very loooong time, and fish eating there will gulp some air with the food, which can cause problems later on, like swim bladder problems and floating.

Brine shrimp is a very good food for goldfish, its a natural color enhancer and protein food. Peas are also good, just not the stuff out of the can. That contains too much salts. Go and get the frozen kind, thaw or cook them slightly, pop them out of their skin, and if the fish are smaller, cut them into smaller pieces. They like lettuce as well, and of course, waterplants! Dont we all complain that they keep ruining our lovely water garden? Well, thats because they love to eat that garden in their tank.... :D I have never tried bread of any kind, and especially the whole wheat kind might contain too much fiber for them. Algae wafers are kind of hard and take a very long time to soften up, and our impatient goldies might try to get that big piece into their mouth way to early. But they try, of course..... :)

• 1 month later...

you could feed them the same food for their lifetime

however the consequences of this would be

1) they won't grow to full potential

2) they wouldn't live longer than if you feed them a varied diet

3) its so boring for you and for them

and the list goes on

so in other words your better off feeding them as you said

brine shrimp, lettuce and other foods ;)

Archived