A Thought Just Occured To Me Concerning Salt

Lovely_Goldfish

Ok some of you guys add a touch of salt, perhaps a tenth or two of a percent. This would lower the freezing point by how much? I dont know, but wont the water in the kois body freeze, even if the pond remains a liquid, isnt the freezing point on a celluar level just below 0, I think it was -2 centigrade. A totally fresh pond would freeze with the fish trapped in the ice, but a slightly salty pond would have frozen fish floating all over the surface since ice is lighter than water. I wonder how many of you have thought to get a big heater for the pond instead? :hi

I've never used salt in my pond so I'm not sure what it would do. Fish basically go "dormant" once the water gets below 50. When my pond gets that cold the fish just hang out in the deepest part not moving. The key to keeping them alive it to make sure you keep a hole open to allow the gases to escape. Two years ago my fish survived fine but last year even with a heater I couldn't keep a hole open (200 inches of snow didn't help either).

Archived