What Are Minnows?

Ranchugirl

I stumbled upon that name when researching what I can feed my new Florida Softshell turtle, and besides regular turtle food there is a mentioning of minnows. Is that some kind of freshwater fish? Never heard of it, and cant see it in Petsupermarket or vvvv, either..... :unsure:

I've heard the name "minnows" applied to all cyprinids, so that would mean goldfish are minnows, as are barbs and all those kinds of fish. But some fish have the word "minnow" in their common name, like white cloud mountain minnows (which are pretty common coldwater fish that you can find in most pet stores). I know my dad used to use these little fish traps to catch minnows in lakes and ponds, that's probably what they mean.. but I don't know much about where you'd get them. Feeder fish from pet stores (or anywhere!) can be dangerous, since they may have parasites and stuff.. so any fish that you buy, you should probably quarantine just like you would with a fish that's a pet. You might have thought about that already, just making sure, wouldn't want your turtle to get sick!

The most common ones we sell for feeders are rosy red minnows but the term is very widely used. Even teh little mosquitofish (gambusia) are considered minnows. I dont really see a problem with feeding them to the turtles but as with any animal, the more you feed them live food the more aggressive they'll be!

Well, this kind of turtle gets pretty mean when grown up anyway, so I think I am gonna skip the minnows thing and just get them shrimp and bloodworms. Thats also a recommended food for them.

Thanks everybody! :)

Archived