Sign in to follow this  
Stormysgrandma

Goldfish - Do They Or Don't They Have Stomachs

I can't find it now, but I know that I read somewhere in here that goldfish don't have stomachs. In the info that I remember reading, it was stated that the lack of a stomach is the reason that goldfish get constipated so easily.

A couple of days ago, I read that a goldfish's stomach is the size of their eyes. So...... Do they or don't they have stomachs???????

:krazy:

Nope, no stomach.... And yes, that is partly the reason some fish have boyancy problems. Instead of a stomach, where the food would sit for a while and would digested in smaller pieces, it travels right away into their digestive tract, and with certain foods that contain a lot of air, or are swallowed dry and allowed to soak up water in the intestines (hence the swelling up and sucking all the liquid out of the intestine) can cause troubles for the fish. :)

Woohoo!!! Thank you so much for the quick reply!!

I knew I wasn't going nuts! That is why I started soaking my fish food and I make sure that the fish don't feed from the surface of the water.

I was very confused when I read that other thing.

I feel much better now ... (Stormy is calm and back to normal again) :rofl

Stormy your goldfish? :lol:

Thanks for the answer Ranchu girl. I was wondering the same thing. I had read both answers as well but you answer explains it all.

I believe I read that a goldfish's "digestive tract" is the same size across (diameter) as their pupil (the black part of their eye). I think I read it in Fancy Goldfish in the section discussing force feeding via syringe connected to tubing. They said you could "guesstimate" the size of the tubing needed by getting one about the size of the fish's pupil.

Ha! Ha! Ranchugirl! Sorry for the confusion. I go by the same name at the Pogo game site, and they call me Stormy. I forgot where I was for a minute.

Stormy, by the way, is my daughter's dog - a Pembroke Welsh Corgi. :lol: