I Want To Be A Serial Killer!

kila

I have to drag this topic back up again because I'm desperate!!

Daryl, have you had any luck with getting rid of the little monsters? If so, please advise!

I am overrun in my 20gal. I have pretty much tried everything except the over the counter chemicals, which I too am very wary of.

When my 100 gal is cycled I can move my two guys in there for a few weeks and try to nuke the tank but until then I have to do something else.

I have Physa Acuta...gggrrrrrrr.....I hate them!!

I can tell you that they can survive Prazi. I dosed the tank with that already due to a suspected case of Flukes in my tank. The snails laughed at me and kept breeding.

It's gotton so bad now that this morning I noticed that one of my filters wasn't running. I plugged it out and pulled it out to check on the motor. I opened it up and surprise, surprise, the propeller wasn't turning because it was clogged with snails. That was the final straw. I'm willing to go to jail for mass murder, I just want them all dead!

I have squished them all till my hands are tired, I have wiped them off any surface I see, I have salted the tank, I have Prazied the tank, I have shouted at them, begged them to leave......they are still there!!

Has anyone tried hanging the pennies into the tank as suggested by JRFriend(?). Is that safe?

Any murderous advice welcome!

:wall:madrant

:blink: Salt didn't kill them? How odd. I have never had an issue with these since I only keep plastic and silk plants but if I run across any info I will be sure to pass it along.

I read in a magazine that placing a bit of liver on a plate and then covering it with another so theres the smallest gap will lure them in, but it might take a while.

I am over run with trumpet snails so i am going to ditch the gravel and try and clean the tank and filters as best I can but they might be impossible to totally get rid of once you have them.

If you do use chemicals you have to be aware that a few hundred rotting snails wont do your levels any good.

Good luck with the little blighters

Guest Chishower

I could be wrong, but dont some goldfish compatible loaches eat snails? I know clown loaches do, but I thought that dojos also enjoyed them...

Or you could just break the tank down, save half the water, scrub out the filter pads in the other half of water, scrub out the filters themselves under the tap, change the gravel, and then put it back together?

And dont use pennies. I think we had a case on here a few months ago where someones fish were very sick and that turned out to be the culprit.

Thanks for your responses guys.

I think I'd crash the cycle if I did that much of a clean out all at once. I wouldn't mind risking it if I had the 100 gal cycled but if I ended up with 2 cycling tanks I think I'd crack up and the fish would be in danger.

I've given the filter media many, many rinses in old tank water but I reckon there are lots of globby horrible eggs in there that just will not rinse off.

I can't get any loaches at the moment either because I have nowhere to quarantine new fish.

I definitely won't do the penny thing so.

Aghghgh!!!! I love your idea though and I really want to do it. I feel like putting 100kg of PP in there whilst rubbing my hands together in glee with evil sparks in my eyes and a loud muhaw haw haw coming from my mouth!!! You see? These snails are driving me crazy!!

I think I'll have to just wait until the 100 gal is cycled...put the two boys in there....and completely strip the 20 gal down. Throw away all filter media and gravel....PP absolutely everything else and start again like it is a brand new tank.

It's so annoying how this all started. I brought home an Apple Snail and noticed this little black snail attached to his back. "Aww, look a little baby wild snail, I wonder if they reproduce on their own". I left him in a bucket for a week and decided he might be ok and popped him in.

OMG, if I had that moment back I would have mushed him good!!! I couldn't bear the thought of squashing him at the time and was horrified when my boyfriend said he'd do it. Now I'm squashing them right left and centre!!

I think it was Daryl that said "they are the cockroaches of the aquatic world". A truer word was never spoken!

A word to all those kind people.....don't be like me!! If you see any of these creatures on your plants etc.....get rid ASAP!

Guest 20292

what is the best way if you can not break down a tank and dont have a tank to qt new fish in becuase i am having the same problem and can not get rid of them! They kill the algae wafers so i wonder if i can get some of those and put it in and get them when they are on it? Do you think that will work?

Thanks!

I have nearly (the operative word meaning not completely, but close!) gotten rid of mine.

1. I packed up and mailed all my plants to Sharon and Andrea - and I am sure sent along a good quantity of the nasty pests with them. Less for me - more for them! (sorry, guys! :( )

2. Mine have survived .8% salt!

I have bare bottom tanks. I took out the fish, I took apart my filter. I opened the media baskets and picked each and every ceramic cylindar up, one by one and rinsed and examined it under a microscope. It was then placed in used fish water. The empty media baskets and the filter and all the goes with it were then put in a strong potassium permanganate bath for 4 hours.

I took out every plant and dumped them in the PP bucket.

Every stone was placed in the PP bucket. Every piece of equipment was PPed. The filter cartridges were replaced. The biowheels were disassembled and picked clean of snails, wiped down and put back together (THat is TOUGH - it requires great patience with a pair of tweezers!)

I cleaned the tank out - took all the water out and wiped and rinsed the whole tank in bleach. I then filled it with PP and let it sit.

The tank was reassembled and all pieces replaced. The media remained viable as did the Bio-wheel - I had no bump of cycle.

I am still seeing tiny snails here and there - but I squish them whenever I see them. They are tinier than the head of a pin. They get wiped and squished and squished and squished.

I am now to the point where I only see a tiny little snail about once a week. The two tanks that had the problem have had this done to them only once. I am thinking of doing the job AGAIN, and seeing if I can finish the snails off once and for all!

I never want to see another snail.

I had a clown loach. He died. He did not seem to eat the snails, either. :(

Gppd luck erradicating yours! YUCK! What pests! :krazy:

Thanks Daryl.

Goodness, these things REALLY could survive an atomic bomb!!

I'll wait until the 100gal is cycled, pop the guys in there and go to work on the

20gal. What a nightmare these little monsters are.

Watch out snails........your days are numbered......I hope!!

I have nearly (the operative word meaning not completely, but close!) gotten rid of mine.

1. I packed up and mailed all my plants to Sharon and Andrea - and I am sure sent along a good quantity of the nasty pests with them. Less for me - more for them! (sorry, guys! 

2. Mine have survived .8% salt!

I have bare bottom tanks. I took out the fish, I took apart my filter. I opened the media baskets and picked each and every ceramic cylindar up, one by one and rinsed and examined it under a microscope. It was then placed in used fish water.  The empty media baskets and the filter and all the goes with it were then put in a strong potassium permanganate bath for 4 hours.

I took out every plant and dumped them in the PP bucket.

Every stone was placed in the PP bucket. Every piece of equipment was PPed. The filter cartridges were replaced. The biowheels were disassembled and picked clean of snails, wiped down and put back together (THat is TOUGH - it requires great patience with a pair of tweezers!)

I cleaned the tank out - took all the water out and wiped and rinsed the whole tank in bleach. I then filled it with PP and let it sit.

The tank was reassembled and all pieces replaced. The media remained viable as did the Bio-wheel - I had no bump of cycle.

I am still seeing tiny snails here and there - but I squish them whenever I see them. They are tinier than the head of a pin. They get wiped and squished and squished and squished.

I am now to the point where I only see a tiny little snail about once a week. The two tanks that had the problem have had this done to them only once. I am thinking of doing the job AGAIN, and seeing if I can finish the snails off once and for all!

I never want to see another snail.

I had a clown loach. He died. He did not seem to eat the snails, either. 

Gppd luck erradicating yours! YUCK! What pests!

515364[/snapback]

:o So now you tell me all this? :lol: I knew you had snails,but I didn't realize to what length you've gone....I checked out the plant,(I thought thoroughly),I threw it in some PP for a few hours,and I placed it in a completely planted tank so if I see snails,I think I'll have a stroke! :thud If PP and .8% salt didn't do it,I don't know what will.Were they those wee tiny little Physid's,or Ramshorn? :unsure:

I don't know if this will help or not, Just saw the thread and had to take a look see. (Very novel wording I might add) :lol:

Paging through Foster's and Smith catalog today, Found this stuff......Looks like Carol and Sharon have a good hold on this one but thought I'd add this also, In case you run into a real bind.. ;)

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...=1&N=2004&Nty=1

I don't know if that will work at all, But it's something I thought....Cheap too! :exactly

Edited by froggydella

You could use any of the copper-based meds. The physids do not have trapdoors/operculums like the MLTs so they will definitely get a strong dose of it. Just be prepared to remove rotting snail bodies immediately and do some large water changes so your goldies don't suffer any ill effects.

The loaches should do the job. However most of them are very, very delicate fish since they are scaleless and copper will kill them. Many of them, botias especially, can be very aggressive.

Oh, there were a few extras on those plants, hm? :lol: Haven't seen anything change yet, thats probably because the mossballs went into a tank that has snails already... :rofl3

Kila, one surefire way to get rid of snails are freshwater puffers - they eat them like there is no tomorrow. The snails are actually good for their teeth, cracking those snail shells keeps the little biters happy and nicely trimmed. Of course, you could get addicted to the little puffer, and, well..... I won't even go there... :lol:

Just a thought. When the 100g is cycled, why not nuke the tank with as much salt as you can dissolve in there? It'll crash the cycle in the tank, but you wouldn't have snails left.

Also, if you're not worried about crashing your cycle, why not use chlorine bleach?

There are ways of dealing with snails, but I like my snails. Of course, I only have 2 Blue Mystery snails. =D They're in a 20g tank with an Amazon Swordplant. And they refuse to breed, apparently, since I've had them well over a month, and there are no little snails...

Edited by Raivynn

"Do any of you have any interest in these plants? They are infested with pest snails, I am afraid, for I can see at least 3 on them right now. If there are three - there are MANY more...."

I TOOOOOLD you !!!! :o

I hope they really do not transfer. I sat and picked anything and everything I could see off both the balls and the crypt - I wiped the leaves with those cotton pads, but could not do anything more than rinse and pick the roots!

I hope I did not infest your tanks with unkillable snails!

They are the little round dark brown ones.

:unsure::blink:

Thanks for all of your suggestions guys.

Your input is always appreciated.

I'd love a little freshwater puffer but again I have no quanantine tank.

Raivynn, that's exactly what I will do. When the 20 gal is empty I will poison it. I'll buy over the counter snail killer chemicals, then I'll PP the contents of the tank, throw away all filter media. Then I'll wait a week and do it all again!!

It'll be chemical warfare.

Don't get me wrong, I am very fond of my two Apple Snails (who live on their own) but these snails are just vermin!! They are clogging up my filter and are disgusting!!!

:blink: Andrea,are you hinting that you now own multiple Puffer's??? :rofl

515563[/snapback]

Nope, not yet, Sharon - as cute as they are, but I stick with goldfish for now. Maybe one of those for my now empty 20 gl tank... :rolleyes:

"Do any of you have any interest in these plants? They are infested with pest snails, I am afraid, for I can see at least 3 on them right now. If there are three - there are MANY more...."

I TOOOOOLD you !!!! 

515666[/snapback]

Don't worry about it, Daryl - I knew that! :lol: You did a good job picking off the snails, I haven't seen any on them. And whatever I notice in the tank, I just pick off as they come along. That way their number really stays almost unnoticeable. Of course, if I forget for a week, that'll be a whole other story... :thud

Guest JFriend33

whats wrong with pennies? if you use them in moderation they work just fine. i wouldnt go throwing 20 of them in a 20 gallon. maybe like 4 or 5 for a day or two. thats it. thats not going to release THAT much copper anyways. i guess you could add one at a time over a 5 day stretch to see if that works. my brother just did it in his tank, he had a 29 gallon and he had to add 6.