Snail Clutch!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erin, they grow so fast, huh? You can post in applesnail.net and there will always be peeps there that are willing to take on a few more snails. That is where I will adopt out the ones that I am not going to keep. Plus, I know they are going to great homes. Those people are serious about their snails. :exactly

It's not a dumb question at all!! People will give you different answers as to if theyre fine with goldies. Ive had them with mine since Ive had them and theyre fine. The only problem is the food situation since goldies are hogs and try to take the snailies food. I put leaves of romaine in a vegi clip and suction it to the side of the tank so the snails can get some food. Otherwise I take the snails out and put them on a dish with softened algae wafers, snail biscuits or veggies so they can get more variety.

As far as cleaning the tank goes they wont do it! I thought so too but the only reason theyll eat fish poo and algae is if theyre starving. :(

Apple snails are almost as messy as goldfish are. I don't know who came up with the idea they are a "clean-up crew". but they need to be slapped. Hard. I have had bad experiences with goldfish and apple snails. It might be because my smallest goldfish is 5 1/2 inches without the tail. I had a common take a pretty large hunk out of a big gold snail's foot, and ever since that happened I will not keep them together. Goldfish nip at the antennea, too. I think the fish think they look like little worms wiggling and think they are food. Once they eat the antennea off, they 'get the taste' sorta like a pleco for goldfish slime and that is when they start to attack. Orandas are the worst for terrorizing snails, especially young snails. Quite often you will see an oranda in a snail tank at the LFS to enforce popluation control. They come in really pretty shades from green to gold to purple, they are sometimes called the jewels of a tank. They thrive in high pH, hard water for shell health and need a diet rich in protein and calcium. They work best in a peaceful, community tank where no one will nip at them and they can cruise along without worry. I find that they like Aragonite sand best as a substrate and some snails will bury their feet in it to nap. It also helps keep the water parameters in check.

Wow sorry you had so much trouble combining your snails and goldies Michelle! Like I said, my goldies never bother them. I dont have commons though. Mine are all fancies. They didnt seem to even notice them, really. I have an oranda in there too.

• 2 weeks later...

It all depends on the fish, I guess. Mine are so piggish it isn't even funny. Anything that falls into the tank, if it fits into the mouth or not, is eatable to them. They are just like my pitbull. :rolleyes: I had to go barebottom on my goldfish tank because Goldie kept picking up rocks and almost choking. I decided my nerves couldn't take it any longer, so I pulled all the gravel, now I am working on getting the plants situated. It's like getting a brand new tank, only with more DIY stuff. *loves it :heart *

i laeve my clutch in the tank the fish and the other snails dont bother them and pretty soon youll have hundreds of baby snails. thats what happened to me anyway. unfortunately