Snail Clutch!

I got a few brigs from Lady D recently and Ive already had 3 egg clutches! I took 2 out because I dont want to be overrun but I left the biggest, nicest shaped one. I have no idea what to do. Do I take it out or leave it in there? It feels really dry. Is this normal? :krazy:

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ain't no tellin'! Those little varmints will lay eggs like :krazy: if they are happy in their home. Congrats!!! They look good and healthy and if they start to darken here in a day or so they will most likely hatch.

Here are the eggs and some of the snails. Whos the momma?! :lol:

512171[/snapback]

Snails are hermaphroditic, I think I read somewhere. When they mate, one acts as a male at first then they exchange roles. Hah, now there's serious position-changing worthy of a hardcore fetish video :rofl

512171[/snapback]

Snails are hermaphroditic, I think I read somewhere. When they mate, one acts as a male at first then they exchange roles. Hah, now there's serious position-changing worthy of a hardcore fetish video :rofl

514214[/snapback]

OMG :rofl

Thanks, Michelle! I will look into that. The clutches still look the same. It could be that they werent fertilized?

They should be fertile. Give them about a week, most of the time they will darken. The clutch will start to look all dried-out and then it will start to collapse within itself. This is the babies making their way out. I helped mine along by swishing the clutch in tank water, releasing the little ones.

No Dells, they dont stink at all. I moisten them a couple times a day and keep them on top of my 55 gallon to keep warm. At night I put it beside my turtle light. There is always condensation on the plastic.

I found another clutch today and added it in there too. :D

From one medium sized clutch I got over 300 babies. Congrats on all the eggs! I am proud that the snails are happy with you!

Edited for spelling mistakes.

Edited by Lady_Dodecagon

From one medium sized clutch I got over 300 babies.  Congrats on all the eggs!  I am proud that the snails are happy with you!

515122[/snapback]

:thud

300?! WOW! Thats a lot of snailies!

No change today on the eggs.

Tell me about it! I was seriously under-prepared! I only had one tank at the time that was empty! And the thing is, most all of them lived! I had been told to expect only about 25% of the clutch to hatch since it was their first but the whole thing hatched out healthy babies. I went :krazy: , but managed somehow. Don't wanna do it again without a huge grow-out tank, tho. :D

It was really fun to watch them grow up. :heart