Updated Full Tank Shot

Reef Man

Thanks for all your help, Ron! :)

1200w works out to 4watts per gallon. I actually have over 5w/g in CF on both my 30 and 43g planted tanks. I'm not sure if MH gives better light penetration per watt or not though. I might do some research on whether one of these CF fixtures would be okay for anemones. All the CF and T5 fixtures I've bought came pre-packaged with 10000 or 14000 and actinic tubes installed which I've had to swap out for plant tubes, so I already have a quite a few 'marine' tubes lying around. I assume they *might* be suitable for invertebrates...

I was also thinking about using my planted tank experience to try growing macro-algae in the tank itself rather than in a refugium hidden away. But maybe that'll be getting too complicated for what will be a totally beginner tank, lol. Probably best for me to learn to balance a basic SW system first before complicating it with all the PO4 and NO3 stuff !

Food clips! I thought they were some high tech sensors or something! lol. So you feed your fish vegetables and stuff? Or is it more a carnivorous diet like sticking a prawn in the clip?

Thanks again for all your help! :)

512856[/snapback]

Just a couple comments.... First the 5 watts per gallon with CF and T-5 fixtures isn't even comparable with MH.... MH par readings compared to CF and T-5 are like nuclear compared to conventional....

Also the macro algae in the refugium?s main purpose is to reduce nutrients?phosphates and primarily Nitrates?. The reverse photo period is just a nice addition to what can be done with a refugium?

Hi reef man wouldnt growing algae in the main tank reduce nutrients....phosphates and nitrates i thought the idea of having a refuge was you can controll the algae easyer and the time of lighting ?

P.S i'm picking up old yella today :)

Hi reef man wouldnt growing algae in the main tank reduce nutrients....phosphates and nitrates i thought the idea of having a refuge was you can controll the algae easyer and the time of lighting ?

P.S i'm picking up old yella today :)

514619[/snapback]

Sure...anywhere you put macro algae will reduce nutrients...but most don't like macro in the main tank as it will take over unless you really manage it well...the fact is you can get by without a refuge and go to just a sump if you want to keep the macro in the main tank...then drip kalk at night to keep the ph swing at a minimal.... but the refugium is a place that protects the macro from getting eaten, or from spreading all over the display tank...and allows all the tank water to pass through it so the nutrients are getting full contact to all the macro...and of course the reverse photo period is an advantage to...but many now are keeping there refugium lights on 24/7....it keeps the algae active and removes more nutrients.... I personally would still allow my algae a rest period of at least a few hours and just exstend the photo period if I was to change but I still use a reverse photo period....and it works well for me...

I just wanted to add a comment Reef Man. Your tank is just awesome! All of your corals look absolutely pristine. I've been researching SW, but it's still quite a ways in the future for me. I only know the very tippy top of what there is to know about SW tanks, but hopefully I'll have atank like yours someday. Just wanted to tell ya that. :)