Updated Full Tank Shot

Reef Man

I'm surprised you have enough down time to get bored--that must take a lot of work to keep that tank up!! It is truly amazing. I would not get anything done if I had that in my house. I'd sit and stare all day!!

Thanks for sharing! :druel

Now Ron I think you just wanted to make us all jealous!  :lol:

Beautiful Pic... :heart What kind of fish is that little purple and orangish dude in there?

511950[/snapback]

That is a Royal Gramma.... One of my favorites.... I have had him for about 3 years.....

:) Your photos are fantastic as always! You make me miss the ocean. :heart

I would sit in front of your tank , on a blanket, rubbing suntan lotion on myself all day if I had that in my house. :yeah:

Lov'in it!

That tank is... Yours are always so... Those fish are... OMG!!! :blink:

I can't find the words!!!

:heart:heart

I want it!! Bring it over and I will hire you to keep it up for me. Pwease?!?! :D

Awesome job, really!! You could make an aquarium green with envy.

WOW!!! I don't even want to know how much everything cost. That too is my dream tank someday.

Everything is living right? Those squishy looking tentacle things on the rocks ? I love the colours.

Do you have a NEMO in there? Ohhhhh nevermind I see that cute lil guy!!!

Edited by Barbra44

My hubby is just druelling. He wants a nemo and coral and anenomies.

When one of our tanks becomes vacant he can do a planted tropical tank, and if he manages that then next he can do a reef tank. It ain't as easy as it seems.

John reckons people have told him salt water tanks are easy. All I can say is they probably have only had the tank for a week! :lol:

Wow. It's like every square inch of tank is alive. Awesome stuff, Ron. There's even a clam there on the right!

I've been thinking about a marine tank myself too. Maybe just a seahorse tank, or yes, even a 'Nemo' tank! But only because I've recently learned Seahorses and Clownfish (as well as their anemones) are being captive bred and I haven't the space for a large system like yours.

I've been doing a bit of reading up about it recently. I'm too scared to ask naive questions on those professional marine forums, so do you mind if I ask you a few, please? Okay, a LOT, so *deep breath*, here we go! :)

What sort of light do you have on your setup? MH, CF or T5? Do you use 10000K or Actinic tubes? Your tank doesn't look as blue as some I've seen. In my case, if I were to get an anemone, they also have internal algae so need strong light just like corals, don't they?

Would a 30g tank be too small to maintain a stable system? Is a sump necessary, or would just an external canister filter (and HOB protein skimmer) be okay for a smaller tank?

And would you recommend the deep sand setups I've been reading about to keep NO3 down? It looks like you don't use it yourself, and it sounds dangerous to me if the sulfide got stirred up and released.

Specifically about your tank, those two powerheads you have on either end, are they just for current or are they 'wavemakers'? And what are the two little blue and orange things on the glass on the far left? And also the thing above them to the left of the powerhead?

Sorry, lots of questions as I said! Thanks in advance if you can find the time to answer. I have lots more still, but I don't want to harass you too much, lol!

Edit: I just saw the other clam there in the middle left. It's one of those tanks where the more you look, the more you see.

Edited by awrieger

WOW!!!  I don't even want to know how much everything cost.  That too is my dream tank someday.

Everything is living right?  Those squishy looking tentacle things on the rocks ?  I love the colours.

Do you have a NEMO  in there? Ohhhhh nevermind I see that cute lil guy!!!

512084[/snapback]

Yes everything is living.... and I do have two clowns.... a mated pair of false perks....

What sort of light do you have on your setup? MH, CF or T5? Do you use 10000K or Actinic tubes? Your tank doesn't look as blue as some I've seen. In my case, if I were to get an anemone, they also have internal algae so need strong light just like corals, don't they?

Would a 30g tank be too small to maintain a stable system? Is a sump necessary, or would just an external canister filter (and HOB protein skimmer) be okay for a smaller tank?

And would you recommend the deep sand setups I've been reading about to keep NO3 down? It looks like you don't use it yourself, and it sounds dangerous to me if the sulfide got stirred up and released.

Specifically about your tank, those two powerheads you have on either end, are they just for current or are they 'wavemakers'? And what are the two little blue and orange things on the glass on the far left? And also the thing above them to the left of the powerhead?

Sorry, lots of questions as I said! Thanks in advance if you can find the time to answer. I have lots more still, but I don't want to harass you too much, lol!

Edit: I just saw the other clam there in the middle left. It's one of those tanks where the more you look, the more you see.

512114[/snapback]

I run 1200 watts of MH lighting... I us 14k DE HM bulbs... I find that I don't need actinics running 14k..... and the anemones do need strong lighting... I personally wouldn't keep them under anything but MH lights.... I do know that it can be done but the animal will not thrive under weaker lighting....

A 30 gal would not be to small....but the more water volume you have the more stable the system is.... I would recomend a sump and preferablly a refugium... you can house your protein skimmer and other things in there! If you can't afford a sump/refugium...then a good quality skimmer like an Aqua C...or Bak-Pak would be fine....

The substrate is totally up to you.... I don't use a DSB... in my main tank but in my Refugium I do run a DSB.... I use CC...crushed coral in my display.... Each substrate has its own limits and problems...so you will need to research that out...

Those power heads are tunze turbs and they are installed on a mutlicontroler that alows them to alternate creating a wave motion`

You are seeing food clips and a mag float to clean the glass with... and yes I have 3 clams right now....

Edited by Reef Man

Thanks for all your help, Ron! :)

1200w works out to 4watts per gallon. I actually have over 5w/g in CF on both my 30 and 43g planted tanks. I'm not sure if MH gives better light penetration per watt or not though. I might do some research on whether one of these CF fixtures would be okay for anemones. All the CF and T5 fixtures I've bought came pre-packaged with 10000 or 14000 and actinic tubes installed which I've had to swap out for plant tubes, so I already have a quite a few 'marine' tubes lying around. I assume they *might* be suitable for invertebrates...

I was also thinking about using my planted tank experience to try growing macro-algae in the tank itself rather than in a refugium hidden away. But maybe that'll be getting too complicated for what will be a totally beginner tank, lol. Probably best for me to learn to balance a basic SW system first before complicating it with all the PO4 and NO3 stuff !

Food clips! I thought they were some high tech sensors or something! lol. So you feed your fish vegetables and stuff? Or is it more a carnivorous diet like sticking a prawn in the clip?

Thanks again for all your help! :)

the advantage of having a refugium (and growing algae in there) is you can have the light on at night so they are running at opposite times to your tank light which stabalizes your ph.