Live,frozen,pellets,flake,freeze Dried...

Nykole

I feed my Moors pellets and flakes and an occasional freeze dried cube. Which kind of food is best? My larger Moor loves live crickets ( I hardly ever give her them though) and she loves peas too. There are so many kinds of foods and GF like variety. So any ideas?

High protein sinking pellets are generally more nutritious than flakes and should make up the staple part of your fish's diet. It is also a good idea to feed peas twice a week to help avoid swimbladder problems.

Goldies love variety though so supplement this diet with bloodworms, brine shrimp, mosquito larvae, and whatever freeze dried/frozen/fresh food you can find in your lfs, as well as just about any fruit or vegetable. Just make sure you soften harder veg by cooking, and peel and wash them too. I throw in a whole defrosted frozen sprout once a week and the fish go nuts for it, chasing it around the tank. It not only gives them a bit of variety in their diet, but also gives them something interesting to do. Floating a slice of orange on top of the tank makes them act like frenzied sharks too! They all ahve different tastes though so it is a case of trial and error.

Guest goldfix

I think the new theory is that swim bladder problems (which cause goldfish to swim on their sides or float near the top of the water) are caused by the drying agents in food which manufactures use so your food won't get all gunked up in the container.

Still, no one know for sure.

It would be nice to have just one food you could feed twice a day 365 days a year, and many foodmakers claim you can do that with your food.

One fish my do excellently on just one food, but another fish in the same tank may for some unknown reason have problems. So I switch foods around, some flakes, some pellets, some spiriulana, and bloodworms.

I had some fish together in a tank for a long time, never adding new fish or plants (because I just restart my plants from cuttings), then I gave them some frozen krill, and they had an outbreak of flukes. Maybe just a coincidence.

anybody know how to spell manufacture-ers?

Archived