Sign in to follow this  
grain

Very Swollen Anal Area

I have a shubunkin, and recently, he or she? has had a really swollen "butt" area, it looks very painful and kind of sticking out. The first thing I noticed was long strings of yucky looking poop, it is whiteish in the center with a clear outer coating, and then I noticed that the anal area had started to swell. The fish is about 2 years old, and about 7 inches or so long. Here are some pictures that I just took. I'm sorry they aren't the best, but you can see what I am talking about. Any feedback is appreciated!

DSC02310.jpg

DSC02307.jpg

DSC02314.jpg

DSC02308.jpg

yea that's definitely eggs. exactly what my ryukin looked like. Have any males to breed her with?

thank goodness...i feel so bad, the poor thing looks like she's in pain :(

I'd love to be able to breed my fish, but I believe that unfortunately all of my fish are female.....is there anything I can do to help her?

Edited by grain

Guest hayden014

i have heard that if you rub her side you can realease some of the eggs but its a bit risky if you never tried hand breeding or cant handle the fish dont because it could rupture her overies causing internal injuries wich could be life threatening to the fish

its only a suggestion

Edited by hayden014

Guest hayden014

but im sorry its not really adviserble but if it gets really bad use it as a last resort not as a quick relivement

Thank you Hayden! Luckily, I did not have todo that with the fish, I just raised the temp and added salt, and the bad swelling has gone way down. Her is still a little swollen, but no where near as bad as it was, and she is acting normal again :)

That is a great sign, Grain - it was looking really angry there. She never got chased, did she?

Guest hayden014

i am really relived for you i thought i gave you dangerous advise