Sign in to follow this  
Guest Nemo987

Do Bettas And Gooldfish Get Along?

Where did you get the idea that they can go together? I've learned that Betta are a semi-aggresive fish, where goldfish are non so the Betta would kill the goldie.

As some people may have already said, no. The fighter is a tropical fish and needs a tropical tank to live the best life they can. Although they can survive in small, unheated cups of water, it reduces their lifespan dramaticly.

As a goldfish breeder, I suggest keeping all territorial fish out of the goldfish tank. Goldfish are pretty much defenceless against an attack, and in particular the fancies are, since they cannot move fast enough to get away.

As a fighting fish breeder, I beg all the people who have even suggested keeping a fighting fish in cold water to go research their needs. Petshops are in it for a quick sale, and may give false information to achieve a sale (such as 'it's ok to keep goldfish in bowls' and 'fighters can live in a cup or small vase') so it is always wise to research a fishes needs independently before purchase.

Yes, some fighters are more placid then others and may co-exist with other fish (My Aney is an example, he lives with a school of neons, while his brother kills any fish he is let near) but they are NOT a coldwater species. They need heated tanks with a minimum of 2L (ammonia builds up too fast in a smaller environment then this), but preferable more. A fighter in a small space sits their and does nothing, yet give the same fish a big tank (I recommend 20L ones) a heater and some decorations, and you wouldn't think he was the same fish. Within afew days in his new environment he will be exploring, establishing his territory and become very active, quite a change on the fish who used to sit in the bottom of his measly cold confines.

The bottom line is fighters = water of around 26*C to be kept healthy and hence cannot be kept humanely with goldfish. Therefore, no.

EDIT: Not only that, but while a goldfish do fine with a pretty big temp swing as long as it's gradual (say, when the sun goes down and it gets about 7*C colder as it does here every night in the coldwater room over the course of 5-7 hours)this can be lethal to fighters. They require constant temperatures with very little to no variation, otherwise they stress. Too much stress and you have a dead fish. This is why when heating up a fighter tank it should only be done 1* a day until the required temp is reached, in order to reduce stress.

Sorry if I'm blabbering on, but I'm very passionate about both my goldfish and fighting fish, and think they both deserve the best quality of life. Unfortunately, their needs are different, and hence they should be considered uncompatible,

Edited by Amber

Guest fish13

Because i have an aquarium in my room and my family has a betta. And we are considering putting it in the tank with the goldfish will this work?

It all depends on the betta. Put him in something that he can float in and see what his reactions are. If he shows no sigh of aggression than i would put him in to see what he does. Keep a net handy and if he doesn't attact them then he will be fine. Also your goldfish might nip him don't worry they are probly cheaking him out. But if they keep doing it for a few days then just take him out and put him in his old home. I have done this for alot of bettas over the years. Some of them will attact and then some won't. Good Luck

it probably won't work since if the bettas a male it will end up trying to fight the goldfish.

Guest dent ford

I wouldn't recommend, betta'a are quite a fighters as far as I know

Let's try and not respond to such old threads. It gets confusing. Thanks!:rolleyes:

has no one ever seen a male betta with another fish? even a reflection of themselves? they attack they grab and tear and you can hear there jaws snap goldies are too slow for male bettas and could not fight back unless you have a HUGE HUGE HUGE tank where the fish will hardly ever encounter eachother it will be death for sure

I've had a betta in with my 2 fancies for 3 years now and I've never had a problem. They swim along like buddies all the time.

Maybe I got a betta that doesn't know he's a betta? Or, I just have overly peaceful goldfish?

Lisa

I think my Betta is the same way. He shares a 125 gallon with 7 goldies. He eats seperately. He actually plays in the water return too. With that said, I don't normally recommend goldies with a betta.

Yes I do think your betta is an exception :)

Just like any other animal, they're all different, including their aggression level (maybe it has to do with hormone levels? I don't know). I had a betta in a mixed tropical tank years ago with disastrous results, he took the tails off several fish overnight. Peaceful bettas definitely aren't the norm and mixing them with any slow moving fish, especially ones with flowing fins, is generally a very bad idea.

Agree. General rule of Thumb... Betta's are generally aggressive fish, Goldfish are community fish. They just dont really get along. Yes there maybe cases out there that have worked, but just because it does for you or others, doesnt mean we should promote others to do so.

:)

Agree. General rule of Thumb... Betta's are generally aggressive fish, Goldfish are community fish. They just dont really get along. Yes there maybe cases out there that have worked, but just because it does for you or others, doesnt mean we should promote others to do so.

Well said, Koko! :)

I have had a male betta in my aquarium for a while now he eats his food and the goldfish eat theirs they don't bother each other at all :clapping: BUT I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND IT bettas are usually aggressive i just happened to put him for a day or two and realized he not as aggressive. but I still keep an eye on him to be on the safe side

Edited by Gccourtney

download(3) i have had a male betta in my aquarium for a while now he eats his food and the goldfish eat theirs they don't bother each other at all

Please read Koko's response.

also I am worried about the temperature you have your tank at. if you are keeping it at a temperate level for the goldfish then it will be too cold for your betta. if you are keeping it at a tropical level for the betta, your goldfish will not be comfortable and also will be producing much more waste.

i agree with koko i forgot to add that in i have had very aggressive bettas so i wouldn't recommend it :noway just cause it worked out for me doesn't mean that it will work out for everybody the chances of it working out are one out of a hundred. bettas are very agressive dont try it

Most certainly not!

I made this mistake when I was younger, and put by betta in with my comet goldie. The golfish ended up nipping at the betta's fins so much and somehow the betta became sick and died within days of being introduced to the other fish.

Ok for one thing bettas need higher temps in a tank. In the wild they are found in rice pattys in China. So they are also use to low O2 also. They are tropica fish not cold water fish.

No the betta would pick on the goldfish or vice versa

well today i when i was at vvvv the betta was with goldies and koi and they werent fighting i promise its tha truth

I was at petco today and they had two discus with the koi. They werent fighting either because the discus were in the bushes freezing to death. There were three and the way they looked I highly doubt that someone bought it for 39 dollars.

Guys, please look at the date of a thread before posting. It's advised not to post in a thread that is a few months old, let alone several years old. :)

Absolutley not a goldfish with a male betta, things will get really ugly really fast?!

Edited by dnalex
Removed ALL CAPS to comply with rules.

Please read through a thread before posting, this is very old if you look at the date and we have already told other members this as well. Also the question asked in it was already answered.