Getting Goldfish For The First Time In 7 Years....

jackson

I dug out my old aquarium equipment.. i last used it when i was in grade 7...

Hagen Aqua clean mini filter(filtration: sponge, carbon, amonium pad)

and a regular fish tank (approx 19.5" x 12.5" x 11")

(dont know how many gallons)

Anyways... this site says each fish should have 20 gallons....

i plan to buy 1 small OR medium Black Moore and Red-Cap Oranda + 1 sucker fish (3 fish total)

my filter isnt the best thing in the world... but i dont want to buy a new one..

i plan on buying a under gravel filter for extra cleaning of the tank to go with my current hagen filter

anyways... questions i had were....

1) how many gallons is my tank?

2) can my tank hold these 3 fish without affecting their lifespan?

3) do i need undergravel filter with my Hagen aqua clean filter?

4) do i need the gravel pump thingy if i'm using undergravel filter?

5) what species of sucker should i get (cold water, i dont want snails)?

6) how thick does the gravel layer have to be?

I think you have a normal 10ga tank which means you probably shouldn't put more than one fish in it. As for the rest of your questions I don't really know the best answers. I have some theories but others know a lot better. If nothing else this might draw attention to your question :)

This isn't the best advice and I know it, but Plecostomus are great little sucker fish. The problem with them being with goldfish is that they like the warmer temperatures (75-85F or something like that). Once they get big (6" or so), they can also start to consider the goldfish food :P ... Like I said, not good advice, but they're still cool little fish :D

ok... i found out my tank is 12 gallons.... i still find that to be a big tank.....

i also found out that i should have both undergravel filter and my hagen filter...

i would still like 2 fish in my tank + a sucker....

that'd mean 6 gallons per fish (not including the sucker)

but however.... i dont see sucker fish excreeting much fish poop :P

but however.... i dont see sucker fish excreeting much fish poop :P

Actually, they are poop machines. It's amazing if you put them in a tank full of algae, it will be gone the next day. By gone I mean it will be reconstituted into strings of poop strung around your tank like Christmas decorations :D

I don't mean to imply that this will only happen when you first get them. They eat pretty much non-stop instead of goldfish which eat (for the most part) once or twice a day.

Your tank really isn't big enough for 2 fish and a sucker. Also, when buying 'suckers' you need to be extremely careful that thye are compatible with goldfish and won't turn carnivorous when fully matured as most of them do. Very few remain herbivorous for their entire life. Also, most pleco grow to quite a size and a 12 gallon tank would be nowhere ear sufficient. Also, most of this type of fish are tropical and require warm temperatures. This in itself isn't a problem as fancy goldfish do best at around 75.

How about one goldfish and 3 cory cats? These would get along well together and as long as you had a heater at 75 would be compatible together.

The reason we say only 1 goldie in a 12 gallon is that they grow rather large and excrete huge amounts of waste. This waste can quickly turn the water toxic if a tank is overstocked. In an adequately stocked tank a 30% water change once, possibly twice per week(with dechlorinated, temp matched water) would be sufficient to keep the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels where they should be. If you were to add two goldfish these water changes would need to be doubled (say 2-4 30% water changes per week). Also, because of lack of space your goldfish would become stunted which greatly lessens their lifespan. 2 might survive in a 12 gallon, but they certainly wouldn't thrive as just 1 would.

10 gallons of water matey plus i have a 13 gallon tank and i got 3 fantails and a comet for past 2 days they look and acting fine i think you could do something like that just you would have yo have plenty of oxygen going into the tank and filtration and you would probly have to clean out much more often :) and they should be fine :rolleyes:

when i was a kid... i used that tank... i had a 6" silver koi and like 12 feeder fish...

the koi ending up killing all my feeder fish but wasnt big enough to eat them....

then one by one... my fish started to jump out of the tank.....

i did a complete tank water change once a week.... (that was brutal)

i just bought the undergravel filter thingy and special gravel for my tank....

i decided not to add a sucker.... just 1 black moore and 1 re capped oranda

my powered filter filters 150 gallons per and hour.... so thats roughly 12.5 complete tank filtrations per an hour

Your koi did not kill the feeder goldfish. They get along perfectly well. And as koi need 100 gallons per fish (these are POND fish, NOT tank fish), it was vastly overcrowded. Your water killed your feeder fish, and then as fish will, the koi and the other nibbled on the corpses. The other fish were jumping due to poor water quality.

I was making no attempt at being hostile, and, re-reading my own message, I fail to see how you construed my answer to a misconception as being hostile. The emphasis placed by all-capping certain words was so that they would stick out. I often forget about the shiny features that let you alter text here, as most places I visit have no such thing.

With a 12 gallon, i would buy a fish which is a slow growing fish, and try not to cramp the tank up.. i would use about 15 gallons per fish. I though the same.. 15 gallons is TOO MUCH for a goldie, but, you will see in about 2 months they will grow huge.. My feeders are huge now... s, luckily, i bought ~55 gallon tank.. so now i have ~ 75 gallons for 4 fish :)

I love corydoras catfish, and think they are just the cutest little things (don't let my goldfish hear that :D ),

I think they could live well with a small goldfish, just as long as you make sure the cory is big enough that it can't fit in the mouth of the goldfish.

The one thing to be careful of, though, when putting corys and goldfish together is that the corys get enough to eat. Goldfish are greedy, fast eaters, and they tend to shove the corys out of the way. So it is important, to be sure that the corys are getting something to eat, and to add vegetables. Often the goldfish will tire of the chunks of veggies, and leave it for the catfish.

Peckoltias are lovely little catfish, too, and look much like plecos, but they don't get bigger than around 3". I have had one for 15 years, and it has remained a herbivore, and is a gentle fish. I have to make sure he gets something to eat, since he keeps the tank clear of algae, and the goldfish bully him out of the way at feeding time and steal his pellets :( They are often called "clown plecs" in petshops, but they are not in the same family as the common pleco. They are fairly expensive compared to a common pleco, too. Here in Canada, I see them priced at around $18.

Good luck and have fun setting up your tank again.

Archived