Killifish

TangerineSpedo

i was looking up some fish for a friend and i started to read about killifish... they seem quite interesting.. from what i have read they dont require alot of room.. can anyone tell me about mixing species? or is that a no-no? and can the be in the same tank and a kuhli loach lol?

At the bottom of the link you sent it has suggestions for tankmates. I dont know much about kuhli loaches but it seems they grow about the same size as killifish, Like the same type of diet, and they are both peaceful so my uneducated guess would be that they would be fine together.

If something goes wrong i dont think it will be due to compatability issues.........The main things to always look for with compatability is similar Aggression levels, similar Dietary requirements, similar water parameters, and what size they eventually reach. that Liveaquaria site did mention that the Kuhli's care level was moderate rather than easy which means its probably not that hardy. Oh and BTW you're welcome.

Good Luck!

Guest watermama

The killie in the link and the coolie loaches should be fine together.

Things to know about killies.....most of them are annual fish. That is, they live and die within a year. There are a couple of species that will live to 2 years, but not many. Killies are the true "puddle" fish as most of them come from places that only have water for short periods of time. Think of a dried up water hole in Africa when the rains come. Once the water has been there for a day or two, fish will appear, yet the pool is miles from any other water source. The eggs of the killie have lain in wait for this very thing to happen and they will hatch out very, very quickly. They grow quickly too and are ready to mate within a month or so.....the eggs are laid in the muck in the bottom of the pool, and as the pool dries up, the fish will die and the eggs will remain dormant until the rains come again.

Here is the offical killiefish site http://www.aka.org you will find tons of information there!!

I hope you get one, they are very cool fish!!

Archived