Guess What?

Devs

That's good to hear WT is getting better. He reminds me of a naughty little boy with chocolate all over his face saying ' no i didn't eat all the cookies mom, i don't know where they could be' :lol:

Jen, I don't think I've seen your fish but I think your beautiful tanks and tankscape are just awesome.

All my fish are runts - and several are badly stunted- but I do have one -actually the calico you helped me nurse once- who is going to be big. After 8 months with me he has outgrown all the other fish I have!

I'm looking forward to seeing how big I can help him get :heart

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jen,you'll have to show us a pic of Wilbur again,and the Ranchu your Nephew picked up for you,I remember his excellent taste in Goldies. :lol::heart

All my fish were very low priced,and you're right ,you do seem to get what you pay for,But like you,I wouldn't trade them for anything.They ended up with me for a reason.It's very rare that I've actually ever gotten to pick out a pet or a fish -hence the title of my Avatar! :lol:

Imogen,we're waiting for that Calico pic! :exactly

Yep, I have to do that. Start a thread about it. He was such a skinny mangy little slither when I got him.

And how about another pic of that adoreable Won Ton... :lol: ? Hes a celebrity now!

• 2 months later...

OMG - would you look at the size of him! I've got to say Sharon, he's one good lookin' little fella, that face is priceless :heart Louie's a keeper also - just gorgeous :heart

So how big is Ton now? His body and wen are coming along so well.... how often do you feed him? I want some tips on how I can get my guys to fill out equally well :D

Believe it or not,since Louie was floating after that last "cory incident" :rolleyes: ,I've only been feeding him twice a day.I'm so afraid of him getting floaty after dealing with Mummy Marmalade for how many weeks now.

I would guess and say that Louie's a good 5-6 inches,so Won's coming along.One day I'll have to actually try and measure. :rolleyes: His wen surprises me.I remember when I got those 12 week old fry from another member.Seems like it took forever for Marmalade,Mandarin and Kumquat to grow theirs. :rofl

( I actually call kumquat "Jujube" most of the time) :rolleyes:

Speaking of which, how is Marmalade doing now? I often think about her :) so if Louie's a good 5-6 inches that must mean Ton's (don't you like how you call him Won but I call him Ton? :D ) a good 4-5 inches :yikes

It's official, I must have done something wrong with my 3 - they're only about 2 inches :o And their mother Moo was one big gal so it can't be genes... :hmm

:blink: No,I don't think that "Ton's" that big- :unsure: maybe Louie is bigger than I think.Tons actual body is small-to me anyway.His fins make him look alot bigger I think.I'll have to check his size today when it gets light out.I'm terrible for fish sizes-I always guess.With as much as you feed your fry-I'm sure that they're around the same size as fat butt. :rofl

From floating at the top,she started showing a red spot-which looks like it's turning into an ulcer. :(

She's been floating for a long time now,and we know that it's not a good sign.I've seen her feeling better,and she'll actually swim down to the bottom and get the food that drops,but her body goes right back up. :(

I've been feeding her so much less that I swear she's lost weight.I've been giving her gelfood/bloodworms and a few pro-gold pellets here and there,but not too much.The poor girl's so use to eating like a pig.

I started treating with Maracyn II yesterday for the ulcer looking thing.I also put some Neosporin on it.

I hope there's a miracle in the works for her,as she's a real trooper and still fighting,but it looks worse every day that she stays up there jen. :cry1

I'm starting to come to the realisation that if swim bladder problems happen later then there must be another cause. My butterfly was in the same boat as Marmalade so a few days ago i started to feed gel food with metronidazole in it and today for the first time, she's starting to stay right side up. Honestly I know how you feel, I couldn't watch it any more, especially when they struggle to right themselves :cry1

So medicating may have a good affect - have you tried feeding her medigold? Or even better, do you have any metromeds? It's worth a shot because I know they can't live like that forever which is what got me medicating without the benefit of a clue as to what may have caused it.

Another thing i tried in desparation was a few 15 minute baths in epsom salt (1 tablespoon per gallon) because she was quite swollen and it wouldn't have been from eating because I barely feed her now - especially as she flips and hits the top of the tank so fast...

I don't know if it's the epsom or the meds that have helped her but something has - she was on her back for a full 6 weeks before this.

I'm saying a prayer for Marmalade and hopefully the meds will have some affect and get her back the right way up :heart

I did the Medi-Gold and then the Metro-meds for a while,and I swear it was constipating her more and making her floatier.I don't know-maybe I was imagining it. :krazy:

I tried Maracyn II earlier on when I wasn't sure if it was egg impaction or bacterial.It didn't do much for her.The reason I'm trying now is just to see if I can contain that ulcer and get it under control-before it really is an open oozing ulcer.

I didn't have enough of any other bacterial med to use.Luckily I don't need meds but once in a blue moon,and the Maracyns usually are enough. :blink:

Maybe I should try the Metronidazole.Right now,I've been using that Mazuri Gel I've heard so much about as Gel food.It's too soon to tell if it's a good thing although people that have used it have loved it.

She's eating it,but not like her pro-gold or Bloodworms.I think the poor baby's so starved.

This is the first time that shes ever had to deal with meds.I feel so bad for her.

Jen,I'm so glad that your Butterfly seems to be doing something positive here.I don't think it's been quite 6 weeks for Marmalade so maybe there is hope.

How did the fish act during that Epsom bath? Those kind of things always scare me.....

I did the 1/8 tsp in the beginning per gallon,but haven't done it since.I've only regular salt dipped a few times,and they were smaller fish that didn't do so well. :unsure:

She did surprisingly well and I did the epsom baths once a day for 4 days - but made sure it was 15 minutes, not a second more. Plus the one thing that's so glaringly similar is Waddles was also severley consipated which is why I think the food and meds are doing so well. The gel food is made up of peas, beans, garlic, spirulina and tuna, the things that seem to cause good movement and less constipation and then I crush a couple of metronidazole tablets in there - she seems to enjoy it :)

Here's a couple of pics of how she was for 6 weeks (they're such bad quality because I took them when the lights were off to try and avoid stressing her - so I've had to lighten it using photoshop)

DSCN1471.jpg

DSCN1473.jpg

And here she is later this afternoon after a waterchange:

DSCN1486.jpg

It's amazing how now she's swimming a bit better, my stress levels have lowered :unsure:

What are the chances you can get your hands on some meds to make a gel food?

Wow,what a difference! If I can get this sore spot under control,I'll feel better and will definately give this a shot.Can you pm me with ingredient amounts?I just ordered a bottle of Metronidazole,new medi-gold,and new Metro-meds. :blink: Hopefully the Metronidazole gets mailed asap.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...