Fluval Or Eheim Cannister Filters?

Guest SminiFish

Guest SminiFish

Hello!

I have been having tons of trouble with the water parameters in my 30 gallon tank, and with the help and advice of JenW and Parkerdt in the disease and diagnosis forum, I have decided to get rid of my UGF (which sounds like the culprit to my tank troubles) and I'm looking into getting a cannister filter. I currently have a Penguin 330 Biowheel along with with the UGF and powerheads. I hope to run the cannister filter with Penguin Biowheel and get rid of the UGF.

I have been looking at both the Fluval and Eheim cannisters, but I'm new to the cannister filters and I'm not sure what I should be looking for. In your opinion, which one do you like the best and what are your reasons for liking that cannister?

Thank you for your help! Looking forward to your responses! :hi

I'd go with a Rena XP2 or XP3. They're cheaper than most canisters and although I don't have one other members say it's easy to clean, use and assemble. They also say it works great and there is no bypassing of the media.

Also, could you mention what model you are looking at?

Neither they are way too expensive!

Eheim classic 1000L/hr = $523

Aqua one 1000L/hr = $107

There isn't much difference in quality either.

Oh and I have a Rena filstar XP2, its a breeze to maintain, I love it. It was $120.

I use Fluvals, but the Eheims and Rena Filstars are excellent choices. I'd check around and see what's on sale - Big Al's online usually has pretty good prices on these things, and they stock replacement parts as well.

Dave

I have the Eheims and LOVE them. They are exceptionally easy to maintain and clean - and I love the flow control, the self priming feature and the disconnect that does not leak a mite when servicing them. All are GREAT features.

I am not a fan of a filter that has a built in heater. The heaters have a different "life span" than a filter in my experience, and I do not want to have an important piece of equipment not functioning because of a part of it that has failed.

The Eheim is built very thick walled. It is built to last - and the parts are heavy duty. In my book, I got what I paid for.

JMO :)

Hi there, I think cannister filters really are an excellent choice for goldfish, masses and masses of space for filter media for biological filtration etc.

All the brands you've mentioned are good quality, reliable brands.

I only really have specific experience of Fluval as that is very heavily marketed in the UK and is very popular with fishkeepers here.

The Fluval 05 series of cannisters is the latest range, take a look at the website,not sure how to link it but the address is www.hagen.com.

I an very pleased with my fluval cannister, very easy to use, like all external filters you do need two pairs of hand to set it up to begin with, holding tubing while cutting to length etc.

There is a good range of filter medias available for it, its quiet in operation and quite streamlined really. It performs really well with my goldfish tank.

I think they represent very good value for money. I think your idea of supplementing the cannister with the biowheel or powerhead is a good one too. I'm sure someone else with experience of the other brands will be along too. Hope that helps a bit, best of luck with it :)

I have a Penn Plax cascade canister filter. I love it. Its been awsome!

But all the other ones mentioned are great brands! Just shop around. Alot of the time, you can find them cheaper...

**EDITED TO SAY** When I bought my canister filter, they gave me over $20 discount all because the box was slightly damaged.. I didnt complain... the lady at the check stand was like "its your lucky day, the box is damaged so you get $20 off" they had the same filter in boxes that were fine.. but i guess its their policy.. So something to check out. LOL

Guest SminiFish

Thank you to all who have responded so far!

Someone had asked which models I have looked at. I checked out the Fluval Multi Stage 05 and the Eheim Pro II Thermo (2126 and 2128) on the Dr Foster and Smith Web site. I don't know much about cannisters and what to look for, but from what I read, they seemed to be good.

I agree with Daryl, I wouldn't necessarily want the Eheim with the heating unit inside. I already have a stealth heater for my tank and the heater in the cannister seemed to be a bit overkill (Am I right to assume this or are the heaters really needed?). Dr Foster and Smith only seem to sell the Eheim units with the heater, so it is good to know that there are Eheims without the heating unit.

Dr Foster and Smith had Eheim units with both 2 and 3 spaces to put media. The Fluval automatically has 3. Is it better to have a unit with 3 media spaces?

I also noticed that there are several different types of media you can put in the Eheim units. What kinds of media do you guys use and what would be best for goldies? How long does each kind of media last and how often should you replace the media? The Fluval already had the media inside the cannister ready to go, whereas it seemed that you had to purchase the media for the Eheims seperately.

Lastly, do you know of any other places I can check out cannisters besides Dr Foster and Smith? Parkerdt mentioned Big Als in one of his posts, so I am going to check them out tonight and see what they have. Any other places you can think of?

Thank you again for your help!

Bigals will probably have the best price. If you find a lower price on something you want on another site, call bigals customer service and tell them to do a price check on that site they promise to beat it by 5%.

Whether it is better to have 1 or 2 or 3 compartment depends on you. If this filter is for goldies I would use 1 foam block and just fill the rest of the filter with ceramic rings or other biological media.

All the different brands of canister filters have their good points and bad points, but in general they all do a good job of filtering your tank water.

I personally like to use the brand of canister filter that my LPS carries, because of the availability of replacement parts. No filter does you any good if your filter breaks and you have to wait 3-5 days to get replacement parts from an Internet pet store.

In the Eheim, the bottom layer of media is fairly large sized ceramic cylindars. These cause the water to split and flow in all directions as it passes through and over the cylindars. The water slows in speed and the large waste drops out of the flow and sinks into the bottom of the cannister, where you can empty it out easily.

The water then goes up through a large sponge type filter piece that further removes any large waste particles.

The top layer of media is typically the highest quality of biological media you can get - Eheim sells a GREAT sintered glass that has masses of surface area. This is where your beneficial bacteria that process the ammonia/nitrite live.

On top of that can be another level of biological media (if you have a HUGE filter) or a fine floss filter that polishes the water. Then the water is returned to the tank.

To clean the cannister filter, I take out each tray of media, and dump the water with the waste that is in the bottom. Then each tray is rinsed in used fish water from the tank and replaced in the stack. The blue coarse sponge media is squeezed out in used fish water (actually, I have a good cycle, so I blast mine clean under a power stream in my utililty sink), and the top white floss is either squeezed in used fish water or blasted clean or replaced. I replace mine about once every 4-6 months. I buy it in bulk and cut my own - $8 Approx will give me two floss replacements.

You do not ever have to replace the ceramic cylindars, sintered glass, blue sponge filter piece. The most you need to replace is the white floss, when you can no longer get it clean and white again.

I clean my Ehiems about once every 2 weeks. LEss on an understocked tank. (I also run variou HOB filters to supplement the cannisters, though. The cannisters do the biological work far more than the HOB, and the HOB do more mechanical filtration). I empty out the bottom water and waste. Squeeze out the blue spongey stuff, rinse the trays and blast the white floss. The cannister is then reset, refilled with used tank water, and restarted. Some algae floaters from the tubes will be blown out into the tank, so I then proceed to vacumn the tank clean. My Eheim intakes are low enough in the tank that I need to be taking out more than 75% of the water to affect them, so I usually just leave them running, but if you want to shut it off, start it, letting the algae stuff come out, then shut it off and vacumn it all up.

Your filter and tank will be as clean as a whistle! Easy and cheap - no need for regular replacement parts, really..... :) I have had my Eheims running for..... about 3 years and have never had one break down, but Bac2It's comment on having parts available locally is a very valid one.

The Fluvals and Rena Filstars are fairly similar in operation to what Daryl describes for her Eheims. A Fluval 404/405 will give you 4 media trays; I run Fluval bio media in 3 of them and floss in the fourth on the 405 in my main tank, and bio media in 2 of the 4 trays on my 404 along with a row of floss. The extra row is used for carbon when I want to run it; could also be used for Rowaphos, Phos-X, or the like if you ever have need for other chemical filtration.

Fluval, too, has all sorts of available media, or heck you could even use the Eheim media in a Fluval (or vice-versa!) if that is what you desire. The main thing tho is LOTS of biomedia :-)

Dave

Guest SminiFish

Hello everyone!

Thank you so much for all of your help and advice! I think I have narrowed it down to the Eheim Professional II, either the 2026 or the 2028 model. The only difference I can see between the two is that one has 2 media compartments (2026) and the other has 3 media compartments (2028).

Daryl, it sounds like you have the Eheim with 3 media compartments? In your last post, you talked about the large cylinders, the sponge, the sintered glass, and the floss filter. To have all of these medias, would I have to get the 3 media compartment Eheim (2028)? It sounds like the sponge part of the filter already comes with the filter unit, is that correct? Also, what kind of Eheim model do you have?

Also, it sounds like you have to order the media seperately from the filter. Is that correct?

Looking forward to your replies!

I have 2026s and a 2028 in various tanks. I swung a deal with a small mom&pop shop - I ordered all my filters from them and they gave me a deal on all the media that came with them. They are also plumbed to run various UV units with them and work wonderfully. They are all used in combination with HOB filters of various sizes.

Most stores (other than chain) will deal with you if you ask. They still make a profit and you can get a deal.....

I have purchased extra media, also, and I keep it running in a "sterile" tank, cycled and unused for use at any time I need it. I like the sintered glass of the Eheim best of all the media I have ever found... it works in just about any filter wonderfully.

:)

Guest SminiFish

Hello! I have a few more questions about the Eheim filters. Sorry to keep asking questions, but cannister filters are a new thing for me and I don't know much about them. I want to make sure I understand them and know what I am buying before I make the big purchase.

What do you find to be the difference between the Eheim 2026 and the 2028 models? I have a 30 gallon tank. Would I be able to use the 2028 model on my tank even though it seems to be made for a larger tank than 30 gallons, or would it be overkill?

Daryl, you mentioned using a floss filter in your Eheim filter. What exactly is a floss filter? Would I be able to use the floss filter on the Eheim 2026 or would I need the 2028 model for that? I was thinking I would like to use a floss filter in my cannister filter but I'm not sure if it could only be used in the 2028 model instead of the 2026 model.

Thank you for your help and your patience in answering all my questions. Looking forward to your replies.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest SminiFish

Went ahead and got the Eheim 2026 Cannister from Big Als and it just came! Got the filter all set up tonight and it is working really well. Thanks again to all of you for your help and advice!

Guest Dan-Boy

Hello All, just wondering if anyone has had much experience with the:-

Eheim 2227 Pro WET-DRY(Breathing) Filter

Im looking for a filter to replace my Fluval 2 plus, i have a 13Gal tank and i like the Eheim filters.. ive been looking at these:-

Aquatics warehouse

Can anyone point out which might suit me best..i don't mind spending the money on a descent one thats higher spec than i need as i'll be able to transfer it when i get a bigger tank.

Help much Apprieciated

Dan-Boy

Guest Dan-Boy

Thank you, thats something id not thought about. i think in that case im going to go for the 2026.

i'll let you know how i get on.

Dan

Guest JFriend33

i'd get the hydor brand canister filter. they are high quality and have an excellent warranty. i saw one online for 60 dollars the other day. check drsfosterandsmith.com perhaps?

Guest RobFriedman

Just wondering... any opinions on the Magnum filters???

I have a Fluval 104 that I basically found..... but it's used on a tank with an Emperor 400, Emperor 280, and Vortex Diatom D-1..

figure the vortex does most of my mechanical.. and the BioWheels do most of the bio.. i use the Fluval with that sometimes free Hagen Surface Skimmer to keep the top clear

Archived