Best Filter For The Money

I have question concerning whats the best type of filter for the money. I guess this would go for all size tanks but most importantly for my 10 gallon. I'm going to upgrade the tank soon so would it be possible to buy a 30 or 40 gallon filter for my tank now and then just use it for when I get the bigger tank? But like I said before, whats the best bang for the buck as far as filters are concerned?

Thanks

Mark ;)

Penguins are very good. Flow control and biowheel. But Aquaclears have versatility in what media can be used and you won't have to replace any media for years. Aquaclears also have flow control. So the Aquaclear is also good. If you have bigger tanks that can hold 2 filters and you need it, you should get a combo of the 2.

A Tetratec PF 15O would work for now buyt when you get your bugger tank, you will have to have a PF 150 and PF300. You could always get a cheap filter for your 10 gallon (Whisper Model 20=approx. 20.00) and then buy a Whisper 60 for the 30 or 40 gallon tank. A Whisper 60 will cost approx. 30 dollars. The cartridges are cheaper when bought in unassembled 'Bulk' packs of 4, 8, or 12. A pack of 4 is 5 dollars, a pack of 8 is 9 dollars, a pack of 12 is 11 dollars.

Currently I have a top fin filter, are the other filters that you have mentioned that much better than the one i have now. Would it be worth it at this point in the game to switch the filter out? And recently I cleaned out all of the gravel at the bottom of my tank, would a filter who had longer tube thingy be more worth while now to clean up all of the gunk?

Thanks Mark :)

Guest JFriend33

duetto dj 50....15-20 bucks depending on where u live. i'd get the dj100....its only a few more dollars. 17-21ish.

My Tetratec has better mechanical, chemical, and biological filtration than any other power filter. Tetra studied it and it is better than even the Penguin Bio Wheel or the Aqua Clears. The only thing is that the noise is just a little gurgle when the water releases from the Living Filter Chamber. It is not bothersom I sleep with it running in my bedroom. It is extremely easy to maintain. It has a lifetime warranty and an extendable intake tube. It has two cartridges so when you change one, the other one has all of the bacteria on it. You simply remove the old cartridge and trash it. Move the cartridge that is in the front to the back and put the new one in the front. It is that simple. Also, the sponge has to be rinsed out every 6 months. If you want to give me your email address, I will send you a video of the filter while it is running and even pics so you can understand everything. Make sure you send it in a PM. Also, the living filter is easy to adjust and you never have to readjust it. Don't listen to other peoples reviews. I am telling you the truth. I would prefer this filter over any other filter out there. Trust me I have used them all. :yeah:

I'm sorry but I can't PM you yet. I think you need 100 posts to PM or recieve one.

But here is my email anyway. I don't mind everyone seeing it. ( I have more than 1 anyway) Magaling03@aol.com

Kinda corny if you understand it but I didn't make the name up.

If you're not too busy send some pics and the video.

Thank You.

I like the tetratec but I can't seem to find it anywhere for a decent price or under 500gph.

Fishieperson321 that was a great description, I'm thinking that Tetratec should hire you to be a sales person. You sold me on the product and I haven't done any research or looked at it yet, lol.

Currently I have 5 goldfish all under an inch to an inch and half in my tank

(1 comet, 2 commons, 1 ryukin, 1 black moor)

I know I am way overstocked however I didnt know about that at the time I got the fish. I guess you live and you learn and hope the gold fish dont suffer too much.

I would love for some pics and the possible movie of the Tetratec. I currently live in a dorm room and have my fish tank pretty close to my head so noise would be needed to be kept a minimum but I could grow used to subtle noises. I am also under 100 Posts and have the same restrictions, but my e-mail address is LgeGecko@yahoo.com Thanks for everything.

I appreciate all the information you guys are throwing my way, its been giving me a lot to think about.

So inretrospec how big of filter could I fit into my 10 gallon tank right now? The bigger the better is my thought but then again I dont want to buy a filter and then figure out it doesnt fit in my tank...

Thanks For everything

Mark ;)

And I forgot to mention that the video will have no sound because it is on my digital camers. It sounds like any other quiet power filter such as a Whisper. Just a slight gurgle sound from bubbles. :yeah: I am pretty good at reviews because I write them on www.epinions.com all off the time!!!!! :unsure:

Its ok about the sound. Send the vid and pics when you can. As for your tank Lge Gecko could you post how wide the hole is for the filter on your lid?

Edit: Lge Gecko, you may want to get the aquaclear instead since it is really quiet and you may never have to buy new cartridges or anything again. (Of course you should rinse everything in tank water everytime you do a water change except for the biomax rings.) If you go with an aquaclear buy 2 sponges and 1 biomax bag.

Penguins are pretty good too. You could always try the tetratec if you want to. Just make sure you have enough space since tetratecs are kinda bulky.

For along time I just used the cheapy whisper filters on my tanks. I had an aquaclear, but the pump went out on me when the electricity went out. Those whisper filters last a LONG time and did a pretty good job for the price. I now have a canister filter, but i was pleased at how the whisper's did for the price. I had two of the filters meant for a 75 gallon on my 55 gallon. So I was using alot of extra, but it worked pretty good.

Whispers are great filters. They are changing the design of them, though. I don't like the new design, so if I was gonna get a Whisper, I would get one now. They are gonna make all of the filters like the model 5-15 at nnnnnn. Take one out of the box next time you are there and examine it. They are going to make them cheaper. I actually like the Willinger/SecondNature Whisper Power filters but Tetra bought them out. I think that they should have a choice of the clear/smoke color or black, which depends on personal preferances. I like the clear so that you can see if it is working and if the tubes need to be cleaned. Also, if you have a background, the clear tube is virtually invisible.

Hey thanks for those pics and the movie. It looked great! I appreciate all of your help with it. Im going to my big fishie store soon and I'm hoping that they'll have it there.

Do you know which stores the Tetratech is carried??

Thanks For your Help

Mark :)

I got the last one that they had at my pet store. It was marked down 2 14.99!!! I told them that they need to get more of them in!!! If I had more of them, I would send u guys one!!! For catalogs that you get in the mail but have tetratec filters on it, go to:

www.drsfostersmith.com

www.thatpetplace.com

www.petsolutions.com

www.bigalsonline.com

You may or may not find them on their website, but you can find them in the print out catalog and order it from the net that way!!!

And you will need about an 8-9 inch opening in the back of the tank. Also, you may have to set the bar behind the flow diverters on the edge of the frame because the filter extends into the aquarium more than others. Mine is on the edge like that and I have had no change in performance and it has worked great!! Has anyone ever used the new Elite filters?

That's the one I am looking at. I almost bought it last Saturday, but I chose the Tetratec instead. I am looking at the HUSH model 20 for 10-20 gallon tanks. How about you? It looks like a great filter, but the only thing is that it lacks an overflow for when the cartridge overfills. That would not be a problem for me because I lift the lid and check my filter 2-3 times a day to be extra extra safe, but I thought I might point that out to you because some people never check their filter but once a month and goldfish are real poop machines.

I'm planning to buy an all glass aquarium kit that comes with elite hush filters in June but until then I don't know. There is probably an overflow I have yet to see a power filter without one. Maybe its made so that you can't notice the overflow. Hmmmm.

Archived