253 members have voted

1. 1. How big is your betta tank?

• 1. less than a gallon,
    • 2. 1-2 gallons,
    • 3. 2-3 gallons,
    • 4. 3-4 gallons,
    • 5. 4-5 gallons,
    • 6. more than 5 gallons.

I keep mine it at least 2.5 gallons, but if I had the space they'd all be in something a bit bigger. I like 5 gallons, personally. My sorority is a 10 gallon though.

But I think it also depends a bit on the betta...I've had a few that loved to swim around everywhere, exploring their tank, and a few who were more laid back and enjoyed cruising around the top most.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Mr. Blue is in a 3 gallon tank. He loves to swim all around it, and I think he'd probably be happy in a bigger one. I don't have any plans to upgrade right now because of space constraints. I'm currently trying to grow some plants in there to give him more cover because he doesn't seem to like the light. I put a silk one in there on the weekend and he seems much more confident.

I think bettas can be happy in as little as half a gallon if you change the water frequently. After all, bettas were bred for centuries in clay pots in thailand. they also dont appreciate deep water as they have to exert effort to reach the surface to breathe (bettas dont use their gills as much for breathing as their labyrinth organ since their gills arent really developed well, being adapted to oxygen-poor water habitats)

This, personally. I started out under the advisement of breeders in my betta society who keep their fish in small conditions out of necessity, and their fish are gorgeous and happy. IMO, though, bigger is always better.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I've got my betta boy in a heated 3-gallon with a mini internal filter. I change 30% of the water at least twice a week, (usually more often) and I've had no problems. He's a happy, beautiful boy! :D

Edited by EGJ

I tend to keep bettas in larger tanks(ten gal and up) simply due to easier maintenance. Now it's also because I just wanted bettas in a larger community tank.

I've seen healthy bettas in as little as one gal.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I think it depends on the betta. If your betta a particularly small betta like my betta snowflake, who is about the size of three neon tetras, a 2.5 is fine if given plants and playthings. (he just loooves swimming behind filters between branches and sleeping in centers of plants) My other betta Spyro is more the size of a male molly and i wouldn't think of moveing him in anything less than 5 gallons! Just my two cents :)

• 2 months later...

I've got my guy in my goldies' old 10G. He loves it in there so much he's got two bubble nests going.

Hopefully he can learn to share with a snail,shrimp, and some smaller fish(not sure what kind yet).

I've got my guy in my goldies' old 10G. He loves it in there so much he's got two bubble nests going.

Hopefully he can learn to share with a snail,shrimp, and some smaller fish(not sure what kind yet).

I kept my betta with a peppered cory with no problems. I would stay away from the mollies though, I think they were the one's that caused my guy's passing :(

I kept my betta with a peppered cory with no problems. I would stay away from the mollies though, I think they were the one's that caused my guy's passing :(

I've heard that they're nippy,too. I was thinking of trying either guppies or Endler's Livebearers.

I never tried guppies. I heard/read that the bettas can feel threatened by them because of the like finnage, so I never tried. But I again, can't confirm or deny this.

Edited by MexiMike83

• 6 months later...