Sign in to follow this  
hugs_not_drugs

So Frustrating!

GRRRRR.. It's so annoying when you are sooo obsessed with the gorgeous creatures that God put on this earth called Fish and everyone else in your life (with the exception of you guys) is all like "whats the big deal, Kelly? They're just fish. They don't have emotions." Its sooo aggravating when you are so passionate about something and nobody else in your world shares your passion. Does anybody understand how I feel?

Yes, I think we all can relate! I found this site over 4 years ago and was so excited that there were other people out there who were so into fish. :) The internet is an amazing thing!

Also, I had never met so many fish fanatics as when I started working at the fish store. I still get together with those guys and we can just talk about fish and equipment forever! Other people just think we're crazy. :rolleyes:

I used to BE one of the people who thought you guys were crazy...i have always loved animals including fish, but I never would've thought I could happily spend 3 hours in a pet store looking at filters and plants, or that I would stay up all night to make sure a fish was properly acclimated before moving it. I actually went back to the store the other night because i forgot to buy peas for the goldfish!

I've crossed over to the other side...and I like it here! :rofl

Yea, welcome to the fish addict's world. Unfortunately, alot of people just don't get it and I just feel sorry for them....they don't know what they're missing! Just another reason we have to be grateful for Koko's where we can all relate and share. Like I totally understand the extra trip to the store for peas and how excited we can get to know we're going shopping for fish supplies.

My family has really come around and they know how much my fish mean to me so they support me on it. That makes me lucky, but I still try not to overtalk the technical stuff around them or I get :blink: feedback. :D

Lots of us found our way here for the same reason! Not everyone will come around but eventually some of them might... so keep telling them all how wonderful and important fish are to you - to everyone - and maybe it will make a difference! And you always have Koko's to come to when only a fish-nut will understand! :lol

Guest kscoleman

My three kids look at me like I am crazy when I start talking fish. I'v told my husband if I die to call my favorite lfs right away so my babies have a chance with another crazy person but he just teases me and says he will call Mrs. Paul! I got the fish bug when I was 10 and a neighbor gave me a bunch of guppies in a glass jug. He had a set-up in his basement with about 20 10 gal. tanks all at eye level around the room. I thought his daughter sure was lucky! Well, those guppies led to my first 10 gal. and the rest is history!

Guest Harpazo

What I want to know is how come one day you are just going along innocently with your life and then all of a sudden, bam! You are totally addicted to fish. You can gaze endlessly into your fish's watery world while the real world goes on around you and you are totally oblivious. All you can think about is whether the water temperature is exactly right, are all my fish healthy, do they look hungry, how cute they are, etc. You give them all names and talk to them like they are your children. When they look at me I think that they love me. Do they ever look at us and wonder if they can come into our world like I wish I could swim in theirs? :rolleyes: What are they thinking when they see us staring at them and smiling? Why do they make us so happy when we can't even touch them or cuddle with them? Is it their beauty alone or their (sometimes) gentle nature? I don't know how it happened to me, but someday it will happen to someone else!!!! :heart

I get the rolling of eyes from my hubby - although deep down I think he really does kind like em. Last week, two of my fish were acting strangely, finally leading to the developing of dropsy (thats another story :( ). Hubby offered to run out and pick up their meds. And last night he was making suggestions as to how to make my tank deco look better. But he still thinks I have way too many tanks, but then I just remind of when I had 8 on the go hehehe. Makes the 5 more in perspective.

Guest lambeaufan71
I'v told my husband if I die to call my favorite lfs right away so my babies have a chance with another crazy person but he just teases me and says he will call Mrs. Paul!

That's funny stuff right there! :rofl

Sounds like something my wife would say...

When I first got my fish, I actually got them for Seth. My betta had died and we were all very sad. Now, the fish are my babies. My family, like my mom and my sister, don't really get the point. They think it's silly for me to be so into my fish and post here. You should see some of the looks they give me when I try to talk to them about it. My husband was like that at first, but he came around. He spends more time with his fish now than I do. When I told my mom how much I was changing to water because I was cycling, she was shocked. She even told me how ridiculous that was. I am working on her though!

When I found this board my first thought was these people are going overboard. I was so wrong. I have found this board more helpful that I ever imagined. And the people here are the nicest around! I am so happy that I found Koko's and have made so many friends. It is a wonderful feeling to know that I can come here and ask about anything and not be judged. I will just get an honest answer.

Kimma, sometimes your sanity is judged. But I don't think that any of us knows what it's like to be sane anymore. We've all forgotten in the wonderful world of fishies.....

It's like my good friend said, "any animal has a personality once you actually pay ATTENTION to it." So many people still treat their goldfish like decor. I do agree with this forum and believe that goldfish are one of the most if not THE most misunderstood pet around..

:heart:heart YAY FOR KOKOOOOOOOO'S!!!!!

I agree Anic. My mom wants an aquarium but doesn't have a lot of time for frequent water changes durring cycling. I offered to cycle it for here at my house and then take it to her. That way no innocent fishies meet an untimely death because she can't change the water.

yeah everyone in my office has a dog but me. they all drone on and on endlessly about their dogs. as soon as i mention something about my fish they all make jokes about how important they are. they'll spend thousands on their dog but the minute i mention that i spent 25$ on a python they roll their eyes.

I think it's nice when the people around you, your family and friends, can see how enthusiastic you are about something and then start to offer support, encouragement and show a genuine interest in it as well.

People often come around to the fish thing when they see how much enjoyment their friend/loved one gets from fishkeeping. Sometimes it just takes time to see it. The most important thing is that we as fishkeepers, no matter how experienced or new we are, enjoy it and look after our fishies friends to the best of our ability :)

yeah everyone in my office has a dog but me.  they all drone on and on endlessly about their dogs.  as soon as i mention something about my fish they all make jokes about how important they are.  they'll spend thousands on their dog but the minute i mention that i spent 25$ on a python they roll their eyes.

503497[/snapback]

I know that feeling. I guess it's different becasue if a dog wants or needs something, they can get your attention much easier. Goldfish can't unless you stare at them all the time. At least, I don't think they can....

a lot of people are actually into this hobby BUT not as into it as we are. i know a lot of people who keep goldfishes and other fishes in a very sad state and for them, it's alright. the moment we tell them that what they are doing is not good for the fish, we becomecrazy in their eyes! We all are very passionate about are fishes. we treat them the way other people would treat their dogs. Up until now I can't tell anybody in the family how much I spend for my fishes, if they find out, they will kick me! hahaha. I have a separate aprtment solely for my fihes. I live next door. that should give you an idea.

i would love a separate place for my fishys!! i have a plan in my head for a future project when i have a good job and money to do it! i spend a lot on mine and my mum is always complaiing how much i do spend, but she loves them really! she talks to them all the time.

My hubby & daughter enjoy the fish as much as I do.But outside world does not understand.I have experienced the same reaction to my parrot as well.People ask "Can he talk?" and that is all they want to know.After that they think it is "only a bird".(He can talk a little,but it is like a baby...only his family knows what he is saying...lol)And he is very intelligent,you can see it in his eyes.

Edited by merlinsmom

Yeah... I know how you feel. One time at work I mentioned "fish constipation" and now that's all I hear about.... "How's your constipated fish?" and then a round of laughter. Only I know that constipated fish aren't funny! They think I'm nuts.