Ruby And Oswald

As some of you may remember, I got two apple snails a while back, Oswald and Ruby. As soon as I put them in the tank, they crawled up to each other, said their goodbyes, and went off to explore their new home.

snail1.jpg

A couple weeks go by, and each are doing well with the pellets and fresh veggies that make up their daily diet, along with the occasional flake that makes it to the floor. A couple doses of calcium, and you can see how much they grew in just that short time - 4 lines!

snail2.jpg

Just yesterday, I catch Ruby and Oswald meeting back up in almost the same place they parted ways so long ago. They discuss their travels, their findings, and their adventures over a single shared leaf (the very last of my once beautiful amazon sword plant).

snail3.jpg

The meal being finished, and each caught up on the other's life; two old friends part ways again, until their next chance meeting.

snail4.jpg

And then my big-head of a shark get's jealous and decides that she wants her picture taken as well. :D

The end!

Aw, thats cute!! Are you sure all theyre doing is "catching up?!" :blink: LOL That is some really good growth on them, too! What kind of calcium are you adding?

Also I like your alligator head! :lol: I remember we started selling those at the store maybe a year ago. Theres a full body one, too, about 10 inches long or so. A customer saw one in a tank and ran away screaming, thinking it was real!! I was like yeah, we sell baby alligators here with the fish. :rolleyes:

:) They look really good! Its amazing how fast they can grow when taken care of properly!

And from the looks of the photo you may want to watch out egg clutches. :rolleyes:

Thanks all. I hadn't thought of ruby and oswald in that way before :) I watched them when they were together, and all it looked like was they were crawling over each other's shells.

What do the egg clutches look like, do they stay at the bottom or float up to the top for air or what? Eh, with my luck my other fish would try and eat them. I swear I have a bunch of pigs, not fish, in that tank.

Oh, and jsrtist, that is the 10" full body one. HAHa, jen's stepfather came over to see my tank for the first time, and he jumped back when he saw the mouth open and shut (which it doesn't do anymore) and actually asked me if I had a live alligator in there. And he's not an uneducated man :)

I don't have soft water to begin with (somewhere at the high end of the medium range) out of the tap; so I broke off a small piece of new cuttlebone, scrubbed it THOUROUGHLY in dechlorinated filtered water, and put it in my aquaclear. It appears to have done the trick, I just replace it every so often.

:) If Ruby & Oswald decide to make beautiful babies,you will find Ruby up out of the water laying something that almost reminds you of Honey Comb-like the bee's make.It will often have a pinkish tone to it-soon to go white..Believe me,if they choose to lay any eggs,it will definately be obvious as to what they are. :lol:

The Ruby and Oswald title sounds like its going to be about a couple of dear old biddies sitting down to a cuppa..(in this case...a leaf). Cute story, that was fun. I hope you get the little 'uns you're hoping for ;):)