The Ongoing Saga Of My 30 Gallon

jsrtist

I got my new light tonight and it looks so great. Its a 96 watt 50/50 with a moonglow bulb (LED). I was wondering, should I keep the moonglow on all night? Or just do a dawn/dusk thing?

And for those who have followed my "experimental" mandarin tank?

My tank is certainly not a fancy reef tank but it is functional! (Minus the cyano, of course, LOL!) It is designed to mainly be a large refugium for my mandarinfish, who eats only live copepods which naturally grow in a marine tank. In the "refugium" I encourage their growth by giving them many caves to hide and reproduce in, away from fish. I aged my tank very quickly by doing this, as the whole point of this experimental tank was to keep mandarin in a new, small tank, which I have done successfully.

I got my mandarin less than a year ago and have onlyhad the tank going for a little more than a year. Usually experts recommend that mandarins be kept in 100 gallon or larger tanks as they are hard to feed (there are not enough "pods" in smaller tanks to keep them alive). However I did design this tank so there would be no other predators to feed on the pods. I only have a firefish who will not feed on them. Ms. Mandarin, as she is known, has been fat and happy all this time. :)

Here is the elusive little girl herself, in the clearest shot I have ever gotten of her!

mandarin20zt.jpg

And here is the tank, hoping to overcome the cyano problem (I siphoned it all out last night and you can still see some of it. Luckily I do have a lot of coralline growing, as the tank has been lowlight all this time).

10009001ak.jpg

The LR is not secured; rather it is stacked together so it will stay?wedged in to each piece, basically. And I dont have anything that will topple it so I dont really have to worry.

Since mandarins mostly feed in the dark and are shy I wanted to create a lot of caves where she could feel safe but I could still see her. Also the firefish is jumpy so he needs lots of little caves, too.

When I worked at the pet store I kept an eye out for good pieces of rock that would make the caves (since there are many different kinds and not all would work) and then I'd get some on payday. :)

looks nice,There are some people that keep mandarins in smaller tanks you just have to add new pods to the system but your tanks looks nice,You need to get some xenia in there(this might help with your cyno problem since they pull phospjates out) The light is your call i do dust to dawn I would hate for the house to burn down over a light being left on to long

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Oops, guess I havent updated this in awhile!! :unsure: The light is working so well! No cyano anymore. Monkeyknuckles, I actually did that idea with the breeder box and coral! Except I had some small zoas. Now that I have the nice light again I think I may try it.

LOL I saw a friend last night who I hadnt seen in awhile and he said, you still have that $%#@ chocolate chip star!? :lol:

• 2 months later...