What Kind Of Plants

kiesha

Hey guys I am getting my new tank for christmas.. I have given this alot of thought and I would like to know what type of plants are goldfish friendly? and which ones will they not niblle and eat on? Any suggestions are appreciated.. I dont know if there is a section on this page or not but also how would I go about just setting up my planted tank ? koko I told you I woule pesture you one day !

Thanks in advance guys

Indian water stay

This is the plant that I have that grows like weeds. I am about ready to give some more of this away soon. Not sure if I can till spring though. What are your thoughts on mailing plants in this cold weather?

I like Anubias, I would like the javamoss also.. the onion plant is beautiful (in my opinion) but does it really smell like onions ? lol might be a silly question.

If I had to choose one plant it would probably be the anubias plant-- it's really pretty

• Admin

Onion plants dont smell at all. They just look like the out door kind of onion plants. They have a bulb at the end and roots that come out of it. They are very pretty long looking green leafs.

Anubis are easier to take care of. They dont require very much at all but they grow VERY slowly. You would be lucky if you see a new leaf once amonth.

Shipping plants in the freezing weather isnt good at all but shipping in the 50's -60's shouldnt be a problem :)

So maybe I will need to wait a while on a plant that will require alot due to the lack of experience. Anubias is easy to keep ? I like that one alot, it does suck that they grow so slow. For a beginner koko what would you recommend?

If you go with anubias, you will need also a fast growing plant or some oto catfish. Due to their slow growth, algae will grow on the leaves. My most successful combo of plants with my goldfish are anubias, Java fern, and horwort... in addition, I have three otos cleaning up the leaves.

I agree with Hidr, the Hygrophila is a great plant. She sent me some and it's growing very fast, putting down lots of roots! It grew into a little "hedge" in the front half of the tank and hasn't been eaten up even though I've seen my fish pick at it.

Archived