Goldfish Gestation Period

Terry

Hi there

I am a novice with a 10,000Ltr garden pond (about 3yrs old) stocked with goldfish of various ages, no fancy ones but all appear to be healthy. One of the larger ones seems to be pregnant. She has been about the same (large) size for about three weeks. I have no idea what the avarage gestation period is so please enlighten me! Also, can goldfish control their gestation period to suit their conditions?

I'm not sure how long it takes for the eggs to develop.... Have you noticed any of your other fish chasing her around? Can you look striaght down on her from the top? Is her stomach swollen evenly on both sides or is one side more swollen than the other? If you haven't seen anyone chasing her and her sides look even then you might be having a totally different problem than her making eggs. If one side is slightly more swollen or you've seen someone chsing her she could be just about ready to lay her eggs. After that, if the male does his job, you could have babies in less than a week :D

Welcome to Kokos! :D

Hi nichjake, thanks for replying. Well there doesn't seem to be any chasing going on. I had a good look from above and I would say both her sides are even in shape so, as you mentioned, there may be some other problem. Apart from her shape there are no other clues (to my inexperienced eye), - she, and all the others appear to be healthy and active, good colour, fins erect etc. What now!? I guess I'll just keep looking for any signs of change in her "condition". Maybe, if she's not pregnant, she's not a she!

• 2 weeks later...

Must be at about 5 weeks now. She still looks very large and very healthy and very un-chased! (unchaste?). Watching & waiting. Should I do something?

Once the males start chasing her, she will be inclined to drop her eggs. My female drops her eggs about every 11-13 days. some though drop as often as every 7 days.

If she doesnt drop her eggs, she will reabsorb them and you should be just fine :)

• 4 weeks later...

It is now over two months and he/she(?) is still getting bigger! The puzzling thing is that it still appears to be healthy and looks pretty good in every other respect. Swimming/activity, appetite, appearance etc all appear normal. Surely it could not be constipated (for this long). No other fish have had any problems. ANY IDEAS?

• 5 months later...
Guest BayBeeBoiz2

with my biggest goldfish he was getting really round in the tummy and after around a month or so he started getting longer and the his belly shrunk up...maybe its just a funny way that ones growing.

i know my others didnt do that when they grew...or maybe she cant drop her eggs..i heard this could also be a problem after to long.? hopefully its not the case here. i wish you the best of luck with your fishies...keep us posted. :D

• 3 months later...
Guest Plaidguy127

I've been looking everywhere to uncover the average gestation period of a goldfish and i don't think anyone has a clue! I'm about 99% shure my goldfish is pregnant and have been recording the time it takes from induced pregnancy to the laying of eggs but i need to know for a fact my goldfish is realy going to lay eggs. Here are the symptoms: The male has been chasing her around every once in a while and has bearly left her side although he only chases her maybe once a day for an hour or so. Also the male has lost a few of his scales which have been replaced with a rash as is also dictated by mating season. The icing on the cake is my female fish is slightly bulging around her sides with a silver tinge to her stomache. This is textbook perfect but since i have other fish in the tank which might eat the eggs if i am not there to scoop them up and put them in a seperate tank i need to know aprroxomately when the eggs will be laid so i will not be away at the time. I need some information from someone who's actually done this before.

Generally, a fish will be primed for fertility by the foods she eats. In a natural pond, with a cold season, the fish is fed a heavy diet of protien - dead insects falling on the pond surface supply this. During the cold hybernation period, the fish creates eggs.

In the warmth of the spring, the lengthing days and warmer temps inspire a fish to spawn. If she has been well fed, she can produce thousands of eggs in one day, or spread the spawning out over many weeks, letting a few hundred go each time the air pressure drops or the male chases, etc.

If your fish is ready to drop eggs, you can isolate her in a separate tank. Typically, a fish will begin to drop eggs at dawn - when daylight starts to light the tank. She will drop for quite a while. Just before a storm, when the air pressure drops, at dawn is usually a common time to see this.

When you notice the eggs dropping, add in the male(s). Watch until they are done and remove the adult fish back to their tank.

IF you are going to be gone, the use of spawning material can preserve many eggs. This can be as simple as low plastic plant mats, to spawning mops that you make with fabric or yarn to store bought spawning brushes that fit in many ponds.

When you get home, lift the spawning media out to a hatching tank.

A male fish will not lose scales naturally. Any scales he has lost may be because of rough spawning activity (usually it is the female that gets the worst of it!) or he may have some other problems you may need to deal with....

Good luck. Ihope you get some pretty babies. :)

Guest Plaidguy127

Thanx alot. I'll try feeding her some new food. I've been feeding all of my fish freeze dried fish flakes i bought a nnnnnn which i'll try to couple with the diet of protien. You were alot of help! :D

• 4 years later...

My female black moor has been chased on and off by my 2 males for a few weeks now. But last night the chasing reached a whole new level, and they have been chasing her incessantly for about 15 hours now. I'm positive that's what's going on as they just keep nudging and bumping her bottom. The strange thing is that she isn't swollen or big and I haven't seen any eggs drop yet. Her bottom looks a tiny bit swollen and white, but not terribly.

I guess my question is, how long does the chasing last before she drops her eggs? I don't want to take her out because I'm hoping she'll drop her eggs and get a break. When I look in the tank she comes to the side and looks at me with her big, googly eyes and I feel like a horrible fish mommy! Help please! Anybody!!!

Tracy