Sign in to follow this  
daust

Got Fry To Grow!

I've gotten all of my fish at the Fish Sempai since I live 30 minutes from Toronto. Andrew, the owner, knows I have a big back yard and wanted to know if I could grow out some fry for him. Being a pearlscale and ryukin lover I jumped at the chance! He gave me about 30, half inch fry. They are every colour under the sun; calico, white, orange, orange and white, blue, greenish and chocolate! Some look exactly like ryukins, some like pearlscales, many inbetween. They are in my 40 gallon tank with my pearlscales (who are so docile they barely noticed the 30 additions!) until the weather gets warm at which time they will go into a 300 gallon container outside. Unfortunately, I think I will have to start up my 90 gallon tank sooner than expected as I have already picked three I want to keep!! :D After this, he says he has some broadtail Ryukin I can grow out as well! My son is going to love this. I was going to catch some tadpoles for him this summer but I think this is going to be way better for him! By the way, Andrew has some absolutely amazing fish right now, and more to come. :yeah:

Angela

Wow it sounds wonderful to be a part of that! Good luck with them...I'm sure you and your son are going to love it....maybe too much (you're right, better get that tank going! ;) )! :lol:

Let us know how it goes and pics would be great too! :):photo:

Wow ur very lucky to be growing out some babies for a well-known importer! Pics pls :D

:blink: Hi Angela.It sounds like alot of fun., or should I say dangerous? :lol:

It's not everyday that people get to start them as fry and watch how they develop,before choosing them.I could see me acting like the "Mother",and wanting to keep them all! :lol:

I've already discussed with Andrew about taking them and finding them good homes. If I keep them all I think my husband would disown me. This little hobby started out as a goldfish in a 10 gallon, progressed to a 40 gallon and may eventually end up being a 90 gallon!! I don't think he'd appreciate a 300 gallon vat in the basement! Do you think he'd mind swimming around in the pool with a bunch of goldfish outside though? :lol: Some of these guys are too funny. One has a fat little body, pearlscales, very short fins but a Ryukin hump! Can't wait to see it when it's bigger! I think this was an unauthorized breeding that occurred in one of Andrews tanks. ;)

Angela

Wow what a wonderful experience for you!!

I'm with golem--any chance we can see some pics? :please

How do you post pics? :unsure: Never done it before. I have a digital camera but how do I get them onto this site? (can I cut and paste?) I'd love to. It would be fun to compare the fatness of my 3 inch Malaysian pearlie to these little fry. She looks like a blimp beside them! Any guidance on how to post would be appreciated. By the way, when I transferred all the fry to my tank, I noticed one had a sore and some fin rot. :( The rest look perfect. Removed sick one to a bucket and treated with Melafix and crushed Medigold. Did the same for the main tank just in case. Any other suggestions?

Angela

Wow! That would be such an honor! I agree with everyone else, you gotta show us piccies! I just love babies, especially fishies! Too cute!! :heart You can link the pics from a photobucket account if you have one. www.photobucket.com

Wow Daust, you are so lucky! I would love to see some pictures of the little fries you're keeping for Andrew. I'll give you a little crash course on how to post pics on Koko's real quick.

1 Photo hosting site. First you'll need to pick a free photo hosting website. A lot of people including myself use Photobucket.com.

2 Create an account. Follow the instructions on the website for creating your account. After you've created your account you can start uploading pictures.

3 Select an image from your hard drive. In the gray box with the 'image' and 'video' tab, select 'image'. Click on the 'browse' button next to the first entry field. A small new window will pop up to let you choose a file from your computer's hard drive. Select the image you want to upload and click open.

4 Upload your image to Photobucket. Just click on the submit button right below the entry fields. You'll now see a thumbnail with some lines of text under it below the gray box after the new page finishes loading.

5 Post a picture in your post. ( :D Sorry couldn't resist!) Ok, so now you need to go ahead click on the text box below the thumbnail of your pic. Choose the third one down that has the letters 'Img:' next to it. The text is now highlighted. Right click on your mouse scroll down to 'copy' on the pop-up menu.

Then go to the reply page on Koko's. You'll notice a row of buttons above the big entry field. Click on 'IMG' and a new window pops up. Right click your mouse once again on the entry field in this window and select 'paste' from the menu, then click ok. You're done.

When you add your reply to the thread your picture will be posted. Hope this helps, otherwise feel free to ask! :)

Thanks for the info. I'm going to university part-time, I work full-time, we're renovating our house and I have a six-year-old so I'm a bit swamped right now.(I know, all my friends think I'm crazy! :krazy: ) Lots of essays and exams coming up. As soon as I'm through that I'll try to post some pics.

Angela