A Snaily Visitor

jsrtist

We had a rainstorm today and when I looked out the window, I saw this cute little guy sliming across my front porch! I just had to take a picture. I know hes not an aquatic snail but thought you guys might still like to see him. :)

snail1fa.jpg

Aww, cute :heart . I've only seen one snail in my area and he came with some plants that my mom bought for our pond so who knows where it was originally from <_< It was a pretty one though, about 2 inches in diameter.

Nichjake, you dont have snails there at all? Oh, its probably too cold, huh? We have them EVERYWHERE here. Last summer they ate all my flowers. I dont like to kill them though, even when I see so many of them. I really do think theyre cute. :)

Sometimes I'll step on one by mistake and I feel really bad about it. I try to avoid them and will move them off the sidewalk when I see them. LOL Im weird, I know.

I don't think we do up here, I've never seen any signs of them anyways. We've got loads of small slugs, I don't see why we wouldn't have snails but who knows :rolleyes: Maybe we do somewhere...just not near where I am ;)

:D They are cute! Around here though ,I can't recall really seeing them.ask me about Slugs though....Big fat slimey ones :rolleyes: that use to eat my Hosta's every spring during the rainy season. <_<

Beautiful photo.

I used to be such a meanie when I was young. I was facinated with their "horns" and would touch them, they'd retract, then they'd come back out, I'd touch them, they'd retract...and so on and so on........you'd think I would've been bored after a while....nope!! Poor creatures just wanted to go about their business.

My Apple Snails are glad that I don't have the same fascination anymore!! :D

• 2 weeks later...

On my way into work in the morning, I walk along a sidewalk that serves as a thoroughfare for commuting snail traffic. At around 9am each morning, they start from the strip of grass between the sidewalk and the curb, and head across the sidewalk to go up and into a raised planter on the other side. There are usually no fewer than 8 snails crossing at a time. I usually see a few of them returning to the grass at night.

I am very careful about treading through that area, it always breaks my heart to see little commuters who didn't make it to work :( I can just imagine their little briefcases and fold-outs of pictures of their spouses and kids that they store in their shells.

Yeah, i'm nuts.

:exactly

I can just imagine their little briefcases and fold-outs of pictures of their spouses and kids that they store in their shells.

:cry1 How sad! It always breaks my heart to see any kind of critter that has been hit by a car or a small one like frogs, snails, and worms that have been stepped on. I LOVE frogs and the saddest thing I have ever seen was a little tree frog that had been stepped on. I was walking to my Chemisrty class in college and saw it. It almost made me :cry1

I was facinated with their "horns" and would touch them, they'd retract, then they'd come back out, I'd touch them, they'd retract...and so on and so on........

kila, I would do that very same thing when I was little!! :D

What a strange little girl I was, outside playing with bugs and snails while the others were inside with their dolls! :lol:

What a cute snail. We don't see any snails unless you go to north into woodlandish areas during the rainy seasons.

Poor little commuter snails *sniff* I try not to step on any bugs on the ground. Yesterday a big bug landed on my backpack and david was like "AHHHHH KILL IT KILL IT KILL IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and jumped back. I had to rescue the poor thing from him. I was definately the wierd girl playing with bugs outside while it was raining. I bred ladybugs once!! I was down do only 3 by the time the had hatched, did the cacoon thing and turned into adult beetles. Then again, I don't think a shoebox was a good choice of terrarium :rolleyes:

Lee and I were using a water hose at his aunt's house one day last summer and there was the tiniest little slug on it I had ever seen. Soo cute!! It was about 1/4 of an inch long, MAYBE 1/2". Well, Lee had the hose and it brushed against his shirt leaving the baby slug on him. I said "Hey, you have a little creepy-crawly on you" and started to get it off him. He screamed, dropped the hose, and ran away like :krazy: yelling "Ohh my Gosh! Kill it!!" :rofl . Once I finally got him calmed down and saved his life fromthe killer slug by plucking it off his shirt and placing it on a leaf he was still shaking in terror! Poor guy hates bugs and anything creepy and slimy! I laughed until I hurt and told his entire family (and mine) about the near death experience he had had with a vicious animal! :D

ROFL!!! That is so funny. My hubby is like that too, he hates bugs. I always have to get bugs out of the house for him. :)

I put together 3 little terrariums in my house and put little plants and things in them (made them with old fishbowls). They are home to lots of little tiny baby slugs! They are fun to watch crawl around in there. Once the weather warms up I will release them back outside.

I am going to post pics of them one of these days and explain how I made them. They are really easy. I have a tiny fern in one, a little ivy in another and then just some various tiny plants I dug up from my yard. I put in rocks and moss and tiny glass animals. :) I used to make terrariums all the time when I was a kid.