Turbostart V. Biospira

I tried Turbostart after having some problems with a bad batch of BioSpira.

I found that I preferred the Turbostart 700 (for FW- use the TS 900 for SW)and will definitley use it again - here's why:

TS is only available from FritzPet. It still has to be shipped overnight but it is drawn directly from the vat just for your order. It is tested before being shipped out to be sure you are sent a live batch. Then you get it right away. The bottle contains only biobugs and is not "watered" down with media for sustaining the colony - because you will get it and use it right away! So the product you get is more potent - the indicated dose will do the job - so you get more for your money. And it works faster. With BS, I have to double the dose, at least, to get any effect and that took more than two weeks, so it is impossible to say how much of a contribution it made... I saw immediate results with TS!

I am not saying that BS is bad or that it does not work, but after having problems with BS not working, I decided it is just too expensive with the shipping and the short shelf life to try it again - esp. since it is available from a limited number of vendors online (I have only seen two and purhcased from one).

With TS, you are dealing directly with the manufacturer so you can call them immediatley if there is any problem with your product. A store has more to lose and fewer options for replacing the product. If you can get BS locally, this may not be such a problem for you - but if you have to pay for overnight either way, like I do, I would highly recommend trying TS.

I can honestly say that it worked faster and better than BS and at the indicated dose. My tank had a special issue so I added a little extra TS to accelerate the process and WoW! Was it fast! I am very impressed and will use it again.

It says you can add fish immediatley, I still don't know if I would want to do that intentionally, but if you have a new tank with fish in it already, TS would definitley help cycle and protect the fish. Or if you have to rapid cycle for hospitalization. Or you mini-cycle form using meds in a tank or adding new fish, or maybe buy a newbie on a whim and need a cycled QT pronto! I feell better knowing there is something out there that works and is readily available - fast - to help out! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting that link! :) (I shoulda done that... Ooops!)

That is the website but to order the prodcuts you can call the 1800 number on the site - due to the nature of the product - they don't take online orders. Most of their products are only available to business and zoos and aquariums right now but they have decided to "test" the market and sell some of the products to individual consumer - hopefully, it can become more widely available! :D

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My 75g tank was not cycling properly. While BioSpira was temporarily unavailable (because of production problems keeping up with demand), I spent a small fortune getting TurboStart overnighted to me with an icepack to keep it cool. The Turbostart did nothing. Nada. Zip. Not even a ripple in the cycle. Not even even a placebo effect.

I remain a supporter of BioSpira. It works. Not as well as the manufacturer claims, but it works.

Disclaimer: The water here is VERY hard. I was trying to cycle a big tank with a drip filter. Your mileage may vary.

Caroline in San Jose

• 2 weeks later...