Spoiled Plec

Ok, I got a pleco a while ago to take care of the algae in my tank, which sits in half-sunlight for a good part of the morning. She worked really hard, and got my tank spotless.

But I think I've spoiled her now w/ algae wafers, fresh veggies, I've even seen her munching on the pellet food. Which is fine with me, but I never see her eating on the glass anymore.

I've got a handled algae pad, and I don't mind scraping. It's not that. I was wondering if anyone knew if pleco's HAD to have actual algae to eat to stay healthy. Like is spoiling the plec w/ fresh veggies and algae wafers gonna do some harm in the longrun. Any ideas? She seems to be doing fine, I think I just worry to much :D

plec1.jpg

plec2.jpg

:) I have a friend with a 10 gal tank and she was just recently moaning

that her pleco no longer cleans her tank and only eats the food she gives him. She called him spoiled and lazy ! :rofl

Not all individual plecos are fond of algae, some will eat tons of it and some won't eat any. This is why I always tell people not to buy one to keep their tank clean, people should only buy one if they like the fish...just like with any other species. The wafer and veggie diet is a great diet, a diet that few captive plecos sadly never see.

Thanks. Yea, I do like Plecos, especially the way they look when they're free-swimming (not stuck on the glass). When I got him I was worried about not having enough algae in the tank to keep him happy, especially with how fast he ate what little I had in there to begin with.

No worries now though. :)