Black Lionheads

nichjake

I went to the lfs yesterday, I needed more water conditioner, and I just had to look at the fish as I've got a vacant spot in my tank since Eli dies (RIP). I don't think I'm ready to move on and get another fish yet but I just had to look ;) . I noticed among the fish there two black lionheads, they looked really cool...I normally can't stand dorsal less fish but there two were cute. Anyways, they were $14 dollars, the rest of the lioheads were only $4...they were the same size as the others to.

So I guess my question is why were they more expensive. Is black rare? Even if it was, could they loose their black like most goldies?

Nj, depending on where you are in the country they may or maynot be rare. True black ones are probably more than the ones who may turn a bronzy color. ( I know you are here in Mich. and I haven't seen any).

Might be a good find if you are ready.

I'm thinking about it...I guess it'll depend on if I can get back there tomorrow. If I can't go tomorrow it'll be another couple weeks before I can and they'd prolly be gone by then ;)

Hmmm, they could be...but I've never even seen black ranchus were I live <_< These guys looked good though, their backs weren't super straight like most lionheads for sale around here, they had a little curve to them but not as much as a ranchu. They're heads were huge, they kinda reminded me of lions :lol: Cute ones at that :D

Well, I only had 10 bucks in my pocket and they were 14...thats the ultimate form of self control :lol: I might get one if they're still there tomorrow, assuming I can get over there which right now I don't see any reasons why I couldn't :rolleyes:

Well I went back today, one of them was gone and the other didn't look too hot. Some of the scales looked like they had been lifted and his slime coat just didn't look right. That said I didn't get him, I just didn't want to risk bringing something home and making Frosty sick...I don't have any place to quarenteen.

I think I'm just going to have to wait for a while to get another fish, even the best lfs in town had some fish that didn't look very healthy...usually their fish look like the picture of health. Another lfs that I visited today had a terrible ich outbreak, about 90% of their fish were "under observation"... its just not a good time for fish in my area :(

I feel bad for Frosty though, hes just been moping around the last few days. I don't think hes sick, I think he's just lonely. :(

Oh, I forgot to add and it wouldn't let me edit <_< :

I think you were right about the culled Ranchus Riz, when I took a closer look I noticed that the tail was tucked a little too much for a lionhead ;)

They had some black lionheads at my lfs, I was very tempted...I think they started ordering higher quality fish because these were adorable...puffy faces and smooth backs..I was astonished. Argh like I need more tanks to take care of. I have another 50 gallon just sitting there and its soooo tempting.....

Where I live they want around $12 to $15 for the black lionheads or ranchus. I rarely ever see them. I saw some the other day at vvvv, and had to buy one. They wanted $14 for them, and $3 for the orange lionheads/ranchu's that where the same size. It really all depends on where you live. I think mine is pretty good looking, I like him alot. Apparently, vvvv (here anyways) said this was the first time they've ever seen them in their store, and none of the other petstores have them here. Not even mmm. There is a LFS that said they could special order us one, but thats about it.

vvvv is doing a big turnaround lately. I think all of them are doing it. They have way more fish selection than they ever used to . They have like 7 or 8 different kinds of goldies that they didnt have before. From what Ive heard other vvvv in other states, etc are doing this as well

Wow I would take a black ranchu or lionhead if I saw one, still have been getting ready to order one when I got the chance. Maybe I will see them in our vvvv soon and won't have to have one shipped that would be really nice.

gia, you are right about vvvv. I was there yesterday and they have alot of fish that they normally did not have. And they had a tank of black lionheads, which I thought were maybe ranchus, because of the way their tails were hanging.

I almost got one for my empty 20 gal, but every tank there had some kind of issue going on. And I am just afraid of getting anything out of them.

Yeah you guys are right about vvvv....thats where I saw these guys. They also had some really nice looking pearlscales to, they didn't have those before.

When it comes to the fish not being healthy...you know sometimes its really not the stores fault. They dont keep the fish in their store long enough for it to have been from their tanks. The vvvv near me is really good about taking care of them, they always have treats like cucumber and orange. But I was talking to one of the employees the other day he was telling me how all the pearlscales they got in were sick (I saw this too) and he even said some had dropsy. He said the eyes were really popping out on the poor pearlscales. Some of the other goldfish were sick too. I think usually the problem is with the supplier, not always the retail store. I mean if you go to a retail store and the water is really bad, yada yada...then maybe..but 99% of the time I really do think its the suppliers fault for giving them sick fish, and not taking care of them properly. I know they try at this vvvv, but they just cant afford to treat all the sick fish. I heard a lady badmouthing the fish and vvvv while I was looking at the goldies and it made me feel kinda bad because I know it had nothing to do with vvvv.

But yeah, every tank usually does have an issue at this store. Its hard for it not too. I just count on the fact that the fish WILL have parasites everytime I buy from them. I put the fish in the q-tank, do a few salt dips...and the next time I buy a fish I think Im going to buy some parasite clear to go with it just in case, because its just kinda hard to avoid any problems when they use the same nets, cleaning equiptment, etc.

Yeah, the vvvv near me is usually pretty good...I wish I could say the same for mmm. The mmm has had ich for the last three months, its gotten really bad all of a sudden and all the tanks are infected because they don't bother treating <_< . I would seem like someone there would realize that the ich isn't just going to magically disappear on it own, it needs to be treated. Now thats I've discovered vvvv I can't stand mmm...its significantly more expensive, their fish aren't as healthy and not as good of quality, and its nearly impossible to get help in the fish section because they are so understaffed. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure what going on with the best lfs in town...I had never seen any sign of sickness in their tank before. Most of the problems I saw looked like swim bladder problems but there were two ranchus with clamped fins. They must have gotten a bad shipment. No ich though, thats good :D They had the most beautiful Ryukin to...but she was big and therefore way out of my price range :rolleyes: Besides, I like watching them grow up :D

Archived