Turtles!

tom

:blink: I have a turtel but i moved and i forgot her in my out door pond

im so stupid hopefullly i can get her back soon she is really cute

but Never keep a turtel with your goldfish lol

Here is a picture of my little turte

C:\My Documents\My Pictures\QuickCam\Album\Pictures\Picture 283.jpg

LOL yup im thinking getting turtle arent i so sweet awww lol i klnow how much the girls love them so i be like hey girl;s come around my house to see my turtle hehee nah but yeah ill get phtotos asap if i buy one :)

I love turtles, and have 6 now, bought my latest one, a little Florida softshell, just yesterday! What kind of turtles are available in Australia?

Turtles require a lot of care. Their care is just as involved as (proper) fish care. They need a very large, preferably shallow tank. (They like to swim farther rather than deeper). They need plenty of places to come up out of the water and stay dry. Depending on the species you get, they can get pretty large. Some will eat processed pellet food but its a good idea to give them a variety. Some will only eat feeders. You also need to make sure they get plenty of either natural sunlight or light from a reptile lamp to keep their shell and bones strong. They are also extremely messy and need a really good filter.

I hate it when people think a turtle doesnt need much care, which is just not true. Mine are extremely messy, and at the beginning I only had them 2 of them in a 10 gl tank with no filtration, just waterchanges almost daily, and boy, what mess!

And whats even worse, people buy those little guys, not bigger than a half dollar coin, dont bother asking how big its gonna get, and then dump it on the side of the road when they realize they have a 1 ft turtle and cant take care of it anymore.

I know with the Florida softshell, that baby is gonna get big, and mean, with adult hood, and I am prepared for it.

Saw a gorgeous, almost 50 lb African Spur Theigh tortoise the other day in the store. The owner brought it in because it got too big, and bought that tortoise, about 4 inches small, without asking about adult hood size!! :angry:

Turtles and tortoises are loveable creatures, and can be quite tame, if you take the time to get to know their likes and living requirements..... :wub:

Ooops, in my own excitement, forgot to mention, here is a link to a great turtle site -

http://austinsturtlepage.com/

They have a very informative and friendly message board over there as well! :)

Tom, in Australia you need a license to keep turtles of all kinds, and also reptiles, so you will have to find out about this.

My brother in law has a turtle - not sure what kind - which he keeps in a 6 foot tank. It's about 30cm long so they need a heap of room.

Archived