Oscars And Pimelodid Catfish

sandtiger

Here are my oscars. They live in a 75g and get along great, might even be a breeding pair but they have never spawned. The tiger oscar is a female named Bojangles and the red oscar's name is Chef and I think it's a male but I am unsure.

theoscars.jpg

niceoscar.jpg

touchme.jpg

whoswho.jpg

prettychef.jpg

Oooh, such beautiful fish!! I've wanted a Tiger Oscar since I was little and my grandma had one. I still plan on it in the future when I can afford the tank and such!

I seen some similar catfish at mmm for sale, but I didn't see the name. I remembered those huge whiskers though! Very cute :)

d_golem!!! LoL My grandpa would tell us not to put our fingers in the tank either or the Oscar would bite us.. He said the same about his shark (they said it was a "silver shark" but it was really a Bala LoL)... It never really bothered me though. I knew they wouldn't bite my finger off :P The only thing I know we did have to watch our fingers around was their tank with the lionfish o.0

I just love the Oscars though... Jacks are so pretty too, but there is just something about an Oscar :)

Wow, stunning fish sandtiger! How long have you had those two? Oh, and I love their names too.

Thanks for sharing, can't wait to see more.

. . .

Oh atryeu, grandpa was right. Silver shark is just another name for balas, as are tri-color and minnow shark.

Oh atryeu, grandpa was right. Silver shark is just another name for balas, as are tri-color and minnow shark.

Yeah LoL... I started looking into all these different things and mentioned a little about what I learned to them. They kept the Bala (and their other fishies) in good tank conditions with lots of room. They didn't know their "silver shark" was called a Bala though LoL I miss all their fish... Their last one died around 5 years ago :( They have a house full of birds now LoL

They (Oscars) are kinda vicious.....rite?

and they got sharp teeth also?

498221[/snapback]

Not really, compaired to most tropicals, or goldfish they are aggresive but by cichlid standards they are pretty easy going. And they don't really have sharp teeth, it's more like sandpaper...ever catch a largemouth bass? Their teeth are like that. Oscars have teeth in their throat as well, like goldfish and those do most of the work.

Wow, stunning fish sandtiger!  How long have you had those two?  Oh, and I love their names too.

Thanks for sharing, can't wait to see more.

I have had Bojangles since October 2003 and Chef since December 2004. They still have some growing to do. :D

Not really, compaired to most tropicals, or goldfish they are aggresive but by cichlid standards they are pretty easy going. And they don't really have sharp teeth, it's more like sandpaper...ever catch a largemouth bass? Their teeth are like that.

498359[/snapback]

I want to fish for largemouth bass! :D

Only like sandpaper eh? That's good then :lol: hehe my grandpa is a liar then lol

Oh yeah, you live in Australia...my mistake.

Oscars can draw blood, they are pretty strong and as you probably know sand paper moving fast across the skin can make you bleen but they certianly cannot take a finger. As you can see in one of my pictures, I am not afraid to put my hands in the oscar's tank.

BTW, I love you timeline sig, great idea!!!

Those are great pics!! I just love oscars. Ever since I saw an article years ago about a heated outdoor oscar pond I have wanted some! :D

Once at work I was leaning against a tank and didnt realize my hand was near the water and a huge oscar (about twice the size of your guys) jumped up and bit my finger! It was so funny becuase it was such a surprise. I think he was really hoping it was a nice big worm or something. :)

Guest moTIGS

I love oscars. Every time I'm at the store and see the albino oscars I want to get one, but I don't have room. Someday I'll get a huge tank and get a few, throw in some other compatible cichlids, maybe some kind of puffer or something to add variety (I know many need brackish/salt... just throwing out random ideas to research in the future)... and on top of that I could have a ton of little tropical thingies swimming around in huge schools.

Yeah, basically I want an Amazon rain forest river in my bedroom.

Archived