Sign in to follow this  
jsrtist

When Can I Safely Move Babies Outdoors?

My fry are almost exactly 3 months old now and I am wanting to move them outdoors soon. I have a 30 gallon Rubbermaid tub set up and I have just been waiting for the frost danger to end before moving them out. The weather is warming up a little now but still gets down into the 50s at night. Inside, my babies are used to about 75? water. Should I turn down the heater and get them used to the cooler temps?

I just didnt know how much of a temperature swim they could tolerate. I definitely dont want to kill them!

On a side note, the size variation is huge. My largest is about an inch long and I still have some that are probably only >--- <----- that big! Most are somewhere in between. :)

Sorry, that I haven't seen that earlier, Jen.... :hug

Here is what I would do... I'd drop their tank temperature by 2 degrees each day, until it comes pretty close to the highest day temperature you are having in the rubbermaid outside. Then move them, but move the heater as well, and turn it on to have a stable temperature during the night. If you are worried about the rubbermaid melting, take a piece of wood (1x1s or 2x2s do just fine, put that over the center of the tub, and hang the heater from there. If the heater touches the bottom of the tub, get a small piece of concrete block or terracotta pot saucer, put it on the bottom and let the heater rest on that.

Or you can put some sort of blanket over the rubbermaid during the night to prevent any cooling down of the temperature, as well as either shut off the air stone or turn it down to almost nothing.

A too big difference in temp can be stressful to fry, but if you get them used to it very slowly, they'll be just fine. OUr night time temps right now sit just below 50, from 64 a few nights ago, and the fry are fine. Of course, they have been in their tubs since they were eggs, and always used to some percentage of small temp fluctations....

Good luck with the fry! How many do you have left now? :unsure:

Thanks so much, thats just the help I needed! You know, I couldnt tell you how many I have left! :unsure: There are still an awful lot. I am only going to keep one and Im having a tough time choosing!

I will slowly lower their temp then and do it that way. The frost warnings are gone but it does still get pretty cold at night. The heater in the tub is a really good idea.

In addition to giving them more space, I was hoping the sunlight will really start coloring them up well. After all, they are shubunkins! The tub only gets a few hours of sunlight in the early morning; think that will be enough to make a difference?

The few hours of sunlight, plus just the brighter light outdoors should colour up your fry. I notice a difference within a few days of putting mine outside in tubs after the winter and mine are on a covered verandah that only gets morning sunshine.

Good luck with them and please keep us posted :)

Not to mention that you might get lucky and get green water within a week or so - nothing but little food particles for the fry in that! Our koi tubs turned green pretty fast, and I just love it.

Yes, I was hoping for that too! I need to post a pic of them. The size difference is just amazing. Im hoping in the larger tub the tiny ones will be able to get more of their fair share, too.

I have always been amazed at the size difference in the fry, too. Looking forward to pictures :D

I checked my outdoor tank today. Its a pretty warm day, probably mid 60s. The tank is 56?! I am wondering, will my 150w be able to handle that and keep it in the low 70s or will that overpower it? I also have a spare 200w from my old 55 that I could put on there. I was afraid that might overheat it but Im not sure. What would you guys do?

I have never worried about the fluctuations in temperature. My pond fish have always done fine with the variation from daytime to night time temps.

I wouldnt be worried except that they have been indoors their whole lives, and their water has been about 76.?

Overnight the air temp dips to the low 50s or high 40s. I am thinking I will have to use the 200, at least for now. I think i will put it out there for now, before I move the babies, to make sure it wont cook them.

My problem now is finding a power strip that will work outdoors where it is damp? I have no idea if there are even power strips that are meant to work outdoors? I really dont want a fire hazard!

I am sure you find some at Homedepot or any good electric supply store. Maybe a pool place as well, since they for sure have weather proof outlets for any pool equipment... :)

Hi, I actually remembered I had bought a waterproof one for the Christmas lights last year! So I am using that. The little guys are enjoying their first night outdoors tonight. I think they will really benefit from the larger space. I am hoping the tinier ones will be able to get more of their share of food this way. :)