I Wanna Snail!

Jeana727

I would like a big old snail! But I don't really know about snails. i have a few small ones in my smaller tank (kinda got them by accident). I think the big ones look neat though. Are they expensive? (I don't recall seeing them at the petstores here). Do they have special needs? LMK!

My experience with them was short lived..... They tore through my tank and destroyed all my real plants overnight. They clear cut, cut from the base of the plants. Ohhhhhhhh. So The store took them back for me as I don't like plastic plants. So my advice to you... would be to watch out for your real plants if you have any.

There are lots of snail owners here so I am sure you are going to get some excellent snail care advice :)

They're not to bad price wise, at least not in my area. Goliath, my huge cana cost me 10 dollars, but hes huge. I've got two haustrums that I bought for 50 cents each. I think they were only that cheap because it was one of those huge grocery stores with a pet department and the lady didn't know what she was doing :rolleyes: . The average price I've seen them is 3-4 dollars :D

Jeanna... that snail you said you already have in your tank... I get them too when I purchase plants at the pet store. But watch out because those little guys multiply like crazy. One time I took out my filter to change it... and there were literally hundreds of tiny ones in there. I used to have a Under Gravel Filter... they were living under there by the hundreds as well. Mostly empty shells as a lot died... but they were everywhere, yet I rarely saw them in my tank. funny

I dont know if this applies to all snails.. but those tiny little brown ones with a long (not round) shell...those are what I am talking about

Yeah, those tiny brown ones with the long shell are malaysian trumpet snails. They're pretty cool but they do multiply fast. Speaking of those...you just reminded me that I set three baby MTS snails loose in one of my tanks a few weeks ago ;) I haven't seen them since but they'll prolly pop up someday.

Not all snails multiply like that. Apple snails lay eggs, as to most of the larger snails that you see. Snails like to eat veggies. I give mine mostly Kale, spinach, mustard greens and carrots. They loove spinach. They get the occasional grape or cucumber also. Snails need an average of 2.5 gallons a piece, more is better because they're pretty messy.

Snails are great! I have 5 apple snails and a ramshorn. I add liquid calcium everyday to the tank for their shells. Mine love lettuce leaves. I put them in a food clip and throw it in. Mine were between $2-3. Theyre really fun but they do poopy a lot! :lol:

I guess the big ones are pretty neat. Maybe I'll see one sometime! The little ones I have AQUIRED outta pure stupidity are those brown Trumpet guys.(I let them "throw them in" with something I ordered off of Ebay) I put one (is there such a thing as ONE SNAIL) in my big tank & 4-5 in my 30 gal. Should I just leave them or is it best to get rid of them now before they take over the place? :blink:

:) I would look on Aquabid.There are quite a few seller's from Applesnail.net with some really healthjy and reasonably priced snails. :)

As far as barbs crazy snails thaT multiplied,I bet they weren' t Mt's.Plants are notorious for showing up with either tiny Ramshorn BABIES OR EGGS,or for Physa Acuta-Comon pest snail.They look so cute,right bef hand. :lol:

Cool Heather! You have those big ones!! Yes I would love some that grow big! How neat is that?!!! You let me know & I will send you some money to ship them!! :lol:

I have brigs and whenever work slows down so I can get back on it I am working on a research paper about them for new owners. I hope that I can get it up soon. *crosses fingers*

Canas are the ones that eat live plants. Brigs eat only dead or decaying plant matter. If you have a planted tank watch out! The baseball sized ones are Canas.

• 3 weeks later...

I keep my snails in a separate tank. I had some with goldfish before, but the goldies nipped at the tentacles and even bit a chunk out of one little girls's foot! Plus the water parameters are so different, snails like very hard water with lots and lots of calcium for their shells. I feed a high calcium food to the snails and they do go quite well in a peaceful community tank if they are fed the right diet. They like warm water and lots of room and plants to cruise on. Soo cute! I wuv my little ones, can't you tell? :heart:D