Supa Ant Eggs

shark_energy

I bought a packet of these the other day from the pet shop. When I was a kid we used to feed out fish these eggs.

Now the thing is I remember them being tiny bits. Would that be brine shrimp eggs? Can I feed my fish pure shrimp eggs? In the shop the packet of brine shrimp eggs had hatching instructions so I skipped on them. I bought shrimp eggs in vitamin jelly instead and the fish love it.

Anyway back to the ant eggs. First off, the eggs seem congealed together. There are also sticks and things in the packet. The eggs are quite big so not easy for my fish to eat, plus I can't get them to sink no matter how long I soak them, they stay on the top and the fish hardly touch them.

Has anyone else ever used these before?

As a side question - I know some of you prefer to not have food floating as it can help a fish get swim bladder, but while in the shop there was this well known branded "Floating Pellets! Healthier for your fish" and there was also fizzing disolving goldfish shrimp and vitamin food "Ideal floating food for a healthy fish". So what gives?

As a side question - I know some of you prefer to not have food floating as it can help a fish get swim bladder, but while in the shop there was this well known branded "Floating Pellets! Healthier for your fish" and there was also fizzing disolving goldfish shrimp and vitamin food "Ideal floating food for a healthy fish". So what gives?

It's fine to use the floating stuff, but your fish then come and feed at the top and can gulp in bubbles of air as they feed - in the long term, this can cause swimbladder diseases which may or may not be treatable.

I use "possibly the same brand" floating pellets and "possibly the same brand" floating flakes. Personally, I soak the pellets in a small jug of tank water for 10 mins before I feed. Then, if you pour the water in from a foot or 2 above the tank, the pellets will slowly float back up to the top, but my greedy little pair will have eaten most of them before they get up to the top. Flake is easier, because after soaking in a jug for 2 mins, it sinks straight away.

I've just been out and bought some other sinking pellets as well, as my fish love the variety of food they are given - they seem to sink straight from the pot, but I still soak them as they swell up when in water.

Archived