My Three Short-fin Ryukins

Man Yu

Okay, here are the names I've settled on for my three short-fin ryukins.

This one, my favorite, has beautiful butterfly coloration on all his fins, even the pectorals, ventrals and anal fins. His coloration is a vivid red-and-white, it only looks orange because of the sunlight from the window behind them. I've named it Diamonds LaRouge since I couldn't pick between "Diamonds" and "Rouge" :wall , so i guess I'll make him sound like a French Pirate. hee hee.

th_100_7619.jpg

th_100_7578.jpg

The other one has solid red finnage. i've decided to name this one Hearts deRossi for the same reason as above.

th_100_7571.jpg

th_100_7585.jpg

I got this orange short-finned ryukin before I got the other two. I've named this one "Dorado", Spanish(?) for golden.

th_100_7597.jpg

This is a pic taken when Chaplin was still alive. Just to show how vivid the red of the two ryukins really are

th_100_7599.jpg

Just to complete the playing cards-theme, I'm still hoping to find Panda short-fin ryukins (who knows? These might actually exist) which I can name Clubs Sombra and Spades Noir. I'm still on the hunt for the elusive short-fin redcap oranda :goodluck

Guest H2015

They are stunning Man Yu! I'm also sorry about Chaplin, from what I could see he looked beautiful!

Could you post more pictures of them by the way? The direct sun is great to maintain their red!

Diamonds LaRouge looks like the best one from the batch, judging body shape and color! How big are they?

They are stunning Man Yu! I'm also sorry about Chaplin, from what I could see he looked beautiful!

Could you post more pictures of them by the way? The direct sun is great to maintain their red!

Diamonds LaRouge looks like the best one from the batch, judging body shape and color!  How big are they?

494095[/snapback]

They're approximately 3 inches from nose to tail tip. Yes, that's the exact reason i positioned their tanks in front of my room window. As for Diamonds' conformation, yes, he is the one who's visually stunning among the three but he has undesirable red scales on his belly and his hump's not prominent enough (although in Asian tournaments, short-fin ryukins with almost perfectly circular outlines bag the over-all championship). If only he could have had a pure white belly he could have been that much closer to being AAA-grade. maybe I should do the scale-removal trick they perform on jikins... naaaahhh... <_<

here's more pics

th_100_7624.jpg

th_100_7617.jpg

Chaplin's with them in the second pic. yeah I miss the little fella, a lot of people here mourned his loss as well (read the details in "Obituaries")

Guest H2015

Oh they are still small! They will still grow into having even better humps and overall bulk if fed well and did extra water changes.

And besides, not like jikins are born looking like a jikn without plucking out all the red scales to make them look perfect. You got a great pair and hope you'll keep us updated :D

One of my mums show dogs is called rogue. :D

494127[/snapback]

Oh, "rouge" and "rogue" aren't the same thing actually. "Rouge" is French for "Red" while "rogue" is a term for "mean-tempered', "rebellious" or troublemaker

Oh they are still small! They will still grow into having even better humps and overall bulk if fed well and did extra water changes.

And besides, not like jikins are born looking like a jikn without plucking out all the red scales to make them look perfect. You got a great pair and hope you'll keep us updated :D

494110[/snapback]

Yep. That's what I'm doing at the moment. I just wish i could have an outdoor tub like Riz's to grow them out more effectively. Greenwater and overhead natural sunlight is the true secret of professional goldfish breeders to bring out vibrant colors and greatly accelerated growth although I've seen that the Japanese had a rather unusual way of producing jumbo (as in Koi-sized common) goldfish with what a Japan Ministry of Foreign Affairs-endorsed documentary referred to as "ionized oxygen". I'll write up a thread about this sometime.

got them from an LFS (though it's a bit far, two bus rides at least :lol: ) Short-fin ryukins are fortunately easy to find in our locality although none are exactly show quality. AAA-grade are the best you could hope for but they're beautiful enough for me. Fortunate too we could get them at lower prices compared to what other members here report their fishes costing them :listen:

thanks. several members here helped me with the name choices (although they also led to a lot of indecisiveness on my part :lol: ). Well, here's hoping I could also be fortunate in my quest to find that elusive short-fin redcap oranda and panda short-fin ryukin :goodluck If I ever find those, be assured you guys will be the first to know ;)